Yolbert Sanchez (Cuban defector)

SilverRocket

14 minutes ago, bobmc said:

So not a drop dead need but with Martin and Jackson big question marks, who knows.  Glad ME gets to make the call.

It's another starting caliber glove at a premium position to throw at the wall and see if the ball plays. The big advantage over Martin and Jackson is he doesn't need to go on the 40 man or the 25 man. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is from today's Fangraphs chat. Matches my speculative 45 FV guess. 

Will
12:35
Enjoyed your Yolbert Sanchez piece yesterday - any ballpark of his FV? Sounded like at least a 50

Kiley McDaniel
He hasn't been scouted much, so it will be much clearer in a few weeks. I would guess a low 45 FV right now

4 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

This is from today's Fangraphs chat. Matches my speculative 45 FV guess. 

Will
Enjoyed your Yolbert Sanchez piece yesterday - any ballpark of his FV? Sounded like at least a 50

Kiley McDaniel
He hasn't been scouted much, so it will be much clearer in a few weeks. I would guess a low 45 FV right now

This would be overall, right?  So he could be 55 Defense and a big ??? offensively so ~40 at the moment?  Just curious since I don't look at these numbers often.

(Considering it's talked about a lot figure I should start figuring it out).

9 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

This would be overall, right?  So he could be 55 Defense and a big ??? offensively so ~40 at the moment?  Just curious since I don't look at these numbers often.

(Considering it's talked about a lot figure I should start figuring it out).

Yeah, that would be overall, which means his mean projection would be a solid utility guy or an acceptable starter on a bad team. Of course there are error bars there and in Sanchez's case the error bars are pretty large because the limited scouting that he's been subject to.

It seems from limited info that he has at least 4 average or better tools, hit, run, glove, and arm. Game power is poor and raw power is unknown (at least to me). So unless he can improve the game power, he's not going to be anything like an impact bat. The swing (from very limited video) looks like its a slappy, contact heavy thing. 

6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Umm, I've seen basic notes on him, but not a full scouting report and I've seen the one video of him on youtube. It's hard to have a solid opinion of him from that, but the basic idea is Richie Martin with more uncertainty with the bat. Meaning higher ceiling, lower floor, but he'll be a solid defensive SS. He sound like he'd probably be a 45 FV for me, so not top 10, but like 15-20. 

Using Fangraphs prospect valuations, a 45 FV position player is worth about 6M in surplus value, so a bonus in the 2M to 4M range seems like a suitable bonus given the risks associated with not having a great scouting history of the guy. 

Since I'm going off of limited info, take that with a healthy grain of salt.

Stating the obvious here, but the Os literally can’t have enough guys who are athletic enough to play SS.  

He's going to be 23 so its advantageous to him to start playing this season.  I don't see him waiting till July unless he is outrageously lowballed by the O's.  I think 5 Mil gets it done.  Maybe even 4.  I'd like to keep it under 5 Mil so we could swoop up a couple other 6 figure guys before it resets in the summer.    

3 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

He's going to be 23 so its advantageous to him to start playing this season.  I don't see him waiting till July unless he is outrageously lowballed by the O's.  I think 5 Mil gets it done.  Maybe even 4.  I'd like to keep it under 5 Mil so we could swoop up a couple other 6 figure guys before it resets in the summer.    

Word is no other team can even offer two.  I'd start there.  If I am going to go all in on one guy I'd wait to see if the Dodger signees are cut loose.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Word is no other team can even offer two.  I'd start there.  If I am going to go all in on one guy I'd wait to see if the Dodger signees are cut loose.

That's interesting.  Its probably a gamble then between how much now, how much later, along with the career start date factor.   Potentially, how many Dodger signees could be released back into the pool?  

What is ideal?  with our 6+ mil?  How much will these Dodger guys be asking?  Could we walk away with 2-3 studs before next July's sign date?

42 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

That's interesting.  Its probably a gamble then between how much now, how much later, along with the career start date factor.   Potentially, how many Dodger signees could be released back into the pool?  

What is ideal?  with our 6+ mil?  How much will these Dodger guys be asking?  Could we walk away with 2-3 studs before next July's sign date?

The thing with the Dodger signess is they are both young and have already been paid.

I would think they would be in a better position to wait until July if they are cut loose.  

Look to what happened with the Braves to see what might happen.

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, that would be overall, which means his mean projection would be a solid utility guy or an acceptable starter on a bad team. Of course there are error bars there and in Sanchez's case the error bars are pretty large because the limited scouting that he's been subject to.

It seems from limited info that he has at least 4 average or better tools, hit, run, glove, and arm. Game power is poor and raw power is unknown (at least to me). So unless he can improve the game power, he's not going to be anything like an impact bat. The swing (from very limited video) looks like its a slappy, contact heavy thing. 

Ok, so the scout stat sheet has tools listed, and a score for each and then an overall.  Cool, thanks. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

2 million would work if he plans to sign pre-reset of $$ and teams can't get more $$.  Certainly a starting point and you'd at least get a good idea if he would even consider.  If 2 mill doesn't get him thinking about starting his career here, then it may not be happening with us even with the extra money.  No point in just dropping 4-5 mill in a prayer.

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can you (or someone) update the Dodger situation you refer to? I only see out there a SI article from Oct/Nov, and the "signees" mentioned sound like marginal talents, if pricey. Thx

16 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

What is the difference between these?

Does everyone in the batting order have to be a homerun hitter? I keep seeing that some of the O's prospects and some of the guys available in the draft are not power hitters. The O's have gone through several years with the majority of homeruns being solo. Wouldn't they have been better off with some guys who could get on base ahead of the power hitters? Especially guys who have some speed that might be able to score from first on a double?

2 minutes ago, panick said:

What is the difference between these?

Does everyone in the batting order have to be a homerun hitter? I keep seeing that some of the O's prospects and some of the guys available in the draft are not power hitters. The O's have gone through several years with the majority of homeruns being solo. Wouldn't they have been better off with some guys who could get on base ahead of the power hitters? Especially guys who have some speed that might be able to score from first on a double?

Power doesn't necessarily mean homeruns. 

If a player has no in game power he isn't of much use on offense since he won't get on base, won't be in scoring position as often and won't knock many runners in.

You have to at least be a threat to hit doubles or pitchers won't respect you.

Archived