Congratulations, Moose!

TonySoprano

What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So Boggs should have gone in as a Devil Ray?

I am not going into that can of worms.

My own personal opinion, the guy with the career good enough to earn him HOF status, should be able to request what hat and uniform is displayed on his body.

Wouldn't this be considered a form of respect?

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I am not going into that can of worms.

My own personal opinion, the guy with the career good enough to earn him HOF status, should be able to request what hat and uniform is displayed on his body.

Wouldn't this be considered a form of respect?

I don't think a team should be able to pay a player to wear their cap into the Hall.

I don't think a player should be able to pick a team he played for for two years at the tail end of his career as best representing his tenure in MLB.

I think that the player should have substantial input but that the Hall should have the right to override the player's choice.

The player can refuse the honor if he decides the hat selected for him is disrespectful.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think a team should be able to pay a player to wear their cap into the Hall.

I don't think a player should be able to pick a team he played for for two years at the tail end of his career as best representing his tenure in MLB.

I think that the player should have substantial input but that the Hall should have the right to override the player's choice.

The player can refuse the honor if he decides the hat selected for him is disrespectful.

You make valid points, and I think you have swayed me, in my own opinion.

17 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You make valid points, and I think you have swayed me, in my own opinion.

I always like it when someone changes his mind in the face of a convincing argument, rather than just digging in.    Kudos to you.

I think the Hall generally respects the wishes of the player, but reserves the right to make the final decision to avoid a ridiculous situation like Boggs presented.   That works well for me.   

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I always like it when someone changes his mind in the face of a convincing argument, rather than just digging in.    Kudos to you.

I think the Hall generally respects the wishes of the player, but reserves the right to make the final decision to avoid a ridiculous situation like Boggs presented.   That works well for me.   

I think it's a reasonable middle ground. Boggs going in as a Ray would have been a joke. It'd be like if your username's namesake went in as a Cleveland Indian or L.A. Dodger. For more murky areas such as the aforementioned Mr. Robinson, it's one I definitely understand why even though he spent last time in Baltimore than Cincy why he chose the O's given his two titles were here as was his Triple Crown and no doubt he appreciated the org taking a chance on him after DeWitt famously called him the old 30. 

Statistical output wise, I kind of see the Orioles beating the Yankees in the seventh game.  Even though the Yankees got 4/9ths of the seasons, the Orioles got 4/7ths of the production.

IP: Orioles 2010, Yankees 1553

WAR: Orioles 48, Yankees 35

ERA+: Orioles 130, Yankees 114 - here too I see a difference between HOF-caliber performance, and not.

Postseason IP: Yankees do have this one 100-40

Also very easy to see the new regime cultivating a thaw as a marketing centerpiece while we mark time this year.

44 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Statistical output wise, I kind of see the Orioles beating the Yankees in the seventh game.  Even though the Yankees got 4/9ths of the seasons, the Orioles got 4/7ths of the production.

IP: Orioles 2010, Yankees 1553

WAR: Orioles 48, Yankees 35

ERA+: Orioles 130, Yankees 114 - here too I see a difference between HOF-caliber performance, and not.

Postseason IP: Yankees do have this one 100-40

Also very easy to see the new regime cultivating a thaw as a marketing centerpiece while we mark time this year.

Oh I would go a step further. I'd say it's the Orioles in six. I looked at the superlatives: All-Star games, GGs, and CYA rankings, he had more of all them with the O's including IMO the most important one of Cy's. It's close but I don't see a reason to give him a Yankees hat for his plaque over an O's one. He did have some memorable moments with the Yankees but he did with us too. I might more inclined to see it as more borderline if he had a Cy, achieved a perfecto, or WS with the Yankees. The lone 20 game win season did come with the Yanks but that doesn't mean what it used to be and he had other seasons that were far better than that one. 

1 minute ago, Palmoripken said:

Oh I would go a step further. I'd say it's the Orioles in six. I looked at the superlatives: All-Star games, GGs, and CYA rankings, he had more of all them with the O's including IMO the most important one of Cy's. It's close but I don't see a reason to give him a Yankees hat for his plaque over an O's one. He did have some memorable moments with the Yankees but he did with us too. I might more inclined to see it as more borderline if he had a Cy, achieved a perfecto, or WS with the Yankees. The lone 20 game win season did come with the Yanks but that doesn't mean what it used to be and he had other seasons that were far better than that one. 

He was the ace the whole time he was here, he was not the ace for the yankees.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

He was the ace the whole time he was here, he was not the ace for the yankees.

That's my thought too. And that's why he should go in as an O. It wouldn't bother me if he went as a Yankee but I'm not seeing any good arguments for him to go in as a Yank over an O. The postseason appearances isn't enough to change my mind. that might be different if he had outright won Game seven of the 2003 ALCS or if he had gotten Everett to complete the perfecto.

Archived