Congratulations, Moose!

TonySoprano

What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Justinlstn said:

No logo, it's official

Yep, glad he won't be representing the Orioles in the hall. He is a hall of famer who played for the Orioles, just like Reggie Jackson, Vlad Guerrero, Harold Baines and Lee Smith to name a few. He played longer than those guys, but at the end of the day, he is not an Oriole for me and never will be. I hope this will end any talk of adding him to monument park. 

29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yep, glad he won't be representing the Orioles in the hall. He is a hall of famer who played for the Orioles, just like Reggie Jackson, Vlad Guerrero, Harold Baines and Lee Smith to name a few. He played longer than those guys, but at the end of the day, he is not an Oriole for me and never will be. I hope this will end any talk of adding him to monument park. 

Got your vote in though, minutes ago. ?✌️

Like Frank Robinson who first played for the Reds?  Murray for the Dodgers?
Drafted, developed, by the Orioles, 10 years in the uniform.   Agree to disagree who qualifies as an Oriole.'

On 8/13/2018 at 10:11 PM, TonySoprano said:

Catfish Hunter, Greg Maddux, Tony LaRussa all have blank logo caps by request.  My guess is that's what will happen with Mussina as well.  A NY cap would be so wrong.

13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm very happy for both Mussina and Baines.  And Lee Smith.  I enjoyed watching all of them.  I think the blank cap for Mussina was a good compromise.

Forgot about Smith, d'oh. So 3 guys who played on the first Orioles team I have a really vivid memory of going to a game for. I have this memory of going in '94 when I was seven and getting a team yearbook that had those guys and of course others in it.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think picking one hat "sticks it to" the fans of teams with a different hat?

Interesting take.

You don't think that picking the Yanks would have been perceived as a pretty big slight to Orioles fans and the city of Baltimore?  Or at the very least to Angelos for his handling of Mussina's contract negotiations?

I think it was diplomatic and mature of him to avoid the whole thing, not alienate anyone, and just be happy he got in.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You don't think that picking the Yanks would have been perceived as a pretty big slight to Orioles fans and the city of Baltimore?  Or at the very least to Angelos for his handling of Mussina's contract negotiations?

I think it was diplomatic and mature of him to avoid the whole thing, not alienate anyone, and just be happy he got in.

I think that some folks could perceive it as being something when in fact it isn't.

I wouldn't be shocked if someone came out with a hot take on how he picked a blank hat because the Hall wouldn't let him wear a Yankees hat.  So BAM!, he stuck it to a fan by wearing a blank hat.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Honestly, I think it’s both a smart decision and the right decision.   He played a very long time for two different teams - so why choose?   It’s like being asked which of your kids is your favorite.    

It does make me sad, though, because it’s a reminder of what could have been.    I would have loved to have seen his plaque with an Orioles hat on it.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, I think it’s both a smart decision and the right decision.   He played a very long time for two different teams - so why choose?   It’s like being asked which of your kids is your favorite.    

It does make me sad, though, because it’s a reminder of what could have been.    I would have loved to have seen his plaque with an Orioles hat on it.  

I would have loved to see him play for the O's for 20 years on a team that tried to win for the last decade of his career.  But that's long past.  Nothing we can do about it now, no sense being upset.  I'll try to remember the day my college buddies and I sat in the RF bleachers at Memorial Stadium, watched Chito Martinez go 3-4 with two homers, and Mussina go eight strong innings for his first MLB win.

33 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I’ve never been in favor of adding him to monument park.    All those icons were major contributors to an Orioles World Series winner.   I’m a huge Mussina fan, thrilled that he got into the Hall of Fame, but that’s not enough to get a statue.  

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Reverse that.  Do you think the Yankees would feel slighted with him in an Orioles cap?  They're all about Rivera this year, and Jeter in 2020.

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Reverse that.  Do you think the Yankees would feel slighted with him in an Orioles cap?  They're all about Rivera this year, and Jeter in 2020.

Probably not.  But why pick sides and make a controversy when you don't have to?  I'm sure the ESPN talking heads are upset for lack of things to yell about, but I'm good with it.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

Probably not.  But why pick sides and make a controversy when you don't have to?  I'm sure the ESPN talking heads are upset for lack of things to yell about, but I'm good with it.

Picking sides?   It's a competition?  Does any Yankee fan regard the Orioles as real competition?  I hardly see the controversy from their end.   Want controversy? Go back and put a blank cap on Reggie Jackson's plaque then.  

Screw ESPN.  I haven't watched them in many years and I'm far, far from alone if you follow their ratings trend.

15 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Yes, I think Yankee fans would feel slighted.    But not nearly as slighted as Orioles fans would feel.   O’s fans really resent the Yankees, whereas Yankee fans don’t really give the Orioles a second thought.  

Archived