Congratulations, Moose!

TonySoprano

What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, Justinlstn said:

I think he will go in as a Yankee. Just curious since he retired, has he ever done any signing at fanfest? I do think they take the players consideration to an extent when it's almost 50/50

He did, it had to be 93 or 94.  I know cause I was there and he signed a photo for me.

Congrats to Mussina!  

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Justinlstn said:

I think he will go in as a Yankee. Just curious since he retired, has he ever done any signing at fanfest? I do think they take the players consideration to an extent when it's almost 50/50

No he hasn't. To my recollection he appeared for his induction to the team hall of fame, and something else that I can't recall, I think it was the opacy 25th anniversary celebration, and he was wearing shorts.

3 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

So why did I have a man crush on Mussina?

https://securea.mlb.com/mlb/images/players/head_shot/119608.jpg

There was something about the guy that was unsettling.  When he took the mound he had this flat look, like he was disgusted by the hitter.  He would stare at the ground for a while, then glare at the batter, then deliver the pitch.  He was probably thinking "how am I going to dissect this specimen?"  -knuckle curve-  and the batter looked silly.

I never got the feeling that the moment was bigger than him.  Which is what made it so frustrating to see him get so close to a no hitter... so close to 20 wins (he would've had one in 1994 if it weren't for the strike)... so close to a World Series.  That beautiful game he pitched against Cleveland cost me a lot of money - not because I bet on the game, but because I smashed my prescription glasses when the Orioles lost.

Then, my heart was taken from me.  Moose left.  For the MFY.  Well, at the time I was very bitter.  Years later I realized that the situation was murky and part of a bigger problem with the team.  I wish I could remember who said it, but apparently Mussina decided he was gone after the Orioles got rid of BJ Surhoff despite his pleas to be near his ill son at Johns Hopkins.

Anyway, I hope he goes in as an Oriole because it will be a loooong time before we get another opportunity.  But if he wears a Yankee cap, or no cap at all, I'll understand.

I was 13 when he left. When you're a kid, you don't see the business side of things. I defintiely do wish he had stayed and I admitted at the time that it being the Yankees made it that much tougher since they were coming off three WS wins in a row and it just felt the rich got richer and we were getting worse which we in fact were. I didn't know that about Surhoff. It's not up to him btw what hat he wears. I think they decided that after Boggs wanted to go in with the Rays.

2 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

I was 13 when he left. When you're a kid, you don't see the business side of things. I defintiely do wish he had stayed and I admitted at the time that it being the Yankees made it that much tougher since they were coming off three WS wins in a row and it just felt the rich got richer and we were getting worse which we in fact were. I didn't know that about Surhoff. It's not up to him btw what hat he wears. I think they decided that after Boggs wanted to go in with the Rays.

I think this sums it up well.  

14 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

No he hasn't. To my recollection he appeared for his induction to the team hall of fame, and something else that I can't recall, I think it was the opacy 25th anniversary celebration, and he was wearing shorts.

Wearing pants in Baltimore in the middle of summer, are you nuts?

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think this sums it up well.  

Thanks man. I mean I admit it. I hated Moose for years and was so glad (and I admit still am( that he never got a WS with the Yanks but he belongs in the HoF. MLB network reminded me and I didn't remember this TBH since I was only 10 but he dominated that 1997 postseason. I believe he beat Randy Johnson twice and pitched two excellent outings against a very good Cleveland offense that he got NDed in. And I definitely think guys who pitched as kids like us got some influence from Moose. I definitely liked to experiment and improvise on the mound. 

6 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

Thanks man. I mean I admit it. I hated Moose for years and was so glad (and I admit still am( that he never got a WS with the Yanks but he belongs in the HoF. MLB network reminded me and I didn't remember this TBH since I was only 10 but he dominated that 1997 postseason. I believe he beat Randy Johnson twice and pitched two excellent outings against a very good Cleveland offense that he got NDed in. And I definitely think guys who pitched as kids like us got some influence from Moose. I definitely liked to experiment and improvise on the mound. 

Sparky Anderson said he was the best right handed in the AL.

5 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

I hated him, too.

But I can't deny it, really.  If I was a FA and the Yankees started making big offers to me, I'd jump at it.  Especially at THAT time when it looked like they could win the World Series every year.  

Archived