Congratulations, Moose!

TonySoprano

What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?

This poll is closed to new votes

16 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Those that have met him, like Tony-OH, dont have kind words to say about him.

Moose had a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

His manager Johnny Oates once said that, for years, he made sure never to talk to Mussina about any subject except baseball for fear of “saying something stupid.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mike-mussina-won-with-elegance-and-consistency-hes-a-well-deserved-hall-of-famer/2019/01/22/7933c35c-1e9d-11e9-9145-3f74070bbdb9_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.5722ab33e3e2

Listen to his reaction to Smoltz.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Who cares? Honestly. How do YOU feel about them? You're probably mostly ambivalent at the end of the day. Follow that instinct. Who cares if he was salty in the dugout to some media types? This is not something to judge character on. 

We gotta stop judging these players by what Media Person says about them. 

I still love Mussina for his game.

I can understand some of the Mussina hate, dont condone it, but I get some of it.

I think Moose isn’t your typical jock is part of what it is. Plus I think he was an introvert in an extrovert world. I’m not saying this excuses behavior and I’ll add unlike Tony I’ve never met the guy but that’s my observations of the guy from afar. He also was a college guy in an era where there were more high school grads like Cal and Eddie in the bigs and he was a Stanford guy at that.

35 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

I think Moose isn’t your typical jock is part of what it is. Plus I think he was an introvert in an extrovert world. I’m not saying this excuses behavior and I’ll add unlike Tony I’ve never met the guy but that’s my observations of the guy from afar. He also was a college guy in an era where there were more high school grads like Cal and Eddie in the bigs and he was a Stanford guy at that.

100% agree.

Same with Bedard, who unfortunately turned his discomfort into sniping and dickish/anti-social behavior. He should have dealt with it better, but it still doesn't mean he's a bad person. You never know what people are struggling with and it can manifest in unfortunate ways, especially in a high stress, high pressure environment where your privacy is invaded on the daily.

Yes, they sign up for it. But of course they do - they love the game and they make millions of dollars. It doesn't mean they can handle it well. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

100% agree.

Same with Bedard, who unfortunately turned his discomfort into sniping and dickish/anti-social behavior. He should have dealt with it better, but it still doesn't mean he's a bad person. You never know what people are struggling with and it can manifest in unfortunate ways, especially in a high stress, high pressure environment where your privacy is invaded on the daily.

Yes, they sign up for it. But of course they do - they love the game and they make millions of dollars. It doesn't mean they can handle it well. 

Bedard was also a native French speaker in a sport with few of them. But you’re right. I mean yes these guys make more than I’ll ever make but they’re still mostly from modest backgrounds who get thrown under the microscope. I’d probably be called aloof by the media I bet if I were in sports.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Looking back on it, it seems like he wanted to give Angelos the finger, something we've all wanted to do.  I can't hate it anymore.

He could see from the inside that this was a team full of 35-year-old regulars, with Angelos as the owner, already on a run of consecutive losing seasons, and had recently hired bumbling 70-year-old Syd Thrift to be the GM.  And, the salary negotiations involved statements like Angelos publicly saying that he didn't think any pitcher who only threw once every five days was worth anything like what Mussina wanted (IIRC).  I totally get not signing a long-term deal with that version of the Orioles.

But couldn't he have signed with the Mariners?

3 hours ago, Nite said:

If he goes in with the Orioles hat, does #35 get retired ??? I mean, every other HOF player that the Orioles have had have their number retired and put out on Eutaw Street. A statue as well, in center right ??? Or would he be the first Orioles HOF player without this honor ??? I'll assume that that won't be the case if he goes in with the MLB or NYY hat. What if he picks the Orioles, though ???

o

If it does, I believe that it ought to be co-retired, along with Mike Cuellar.

The Yankees did this with #8, in which both Bill Dickey and Yogi Berra each wore.

o

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

If it does, I believe that it ought to be co-retired, along with Mike Cuellar.

The Yankees did this with #8, in which both Bill Dickey and Yogi Berra each wore.

o

o

Which is not to say that I believe that the Orioles should necessarily be emulating the behavior of the Yankees at-large, but I think that that was/is an apt example of similarity.

o

It was tough when he left for the Yankees, almost ensuring the Orioles would finish with losing records for the next few years, but then I have no idea what the O's offered him to stay. Likely not a fair offer.  He did what was best for him and I cant blame him for that, but I am happy the Yankees never won a WS with him. 

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Moose had a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

His manager Johnny Oates once said that, for years, he made sure never to talk to Mussina about any subject except baseball for fear of “saying something stupid.”

Mussina shifted between petulant and condescending. He had the whole bag of chips on his shoulder if you ask me.

16 hours ago, Obando said:

He’s an Oriole, and should go in the HOF as such.  I know he left town on a sour note, which I blame mostly on Peter Angelos, but Moose knows his best years were in Baltimore, and the numbers prove it.  He is an Orioles Hall of Famer, but I don’t think he’s a Yankees Hall of Famer.  Moose also spent 10 seasons in Baltimore vs. 8 years with the Yankees.  He was always the ace of the Orioles, while he was never the ace of the Yankees.  I will be very disappointed if he goes in as a Yankee.  If he goes in as an Oriole, he should get a statue and have a ceremony.  We need to welcome him back into the Oriole family with open arms and make him feel special, which he deserves.  He never wanted to leave here in the first place.

He will be inducted into the MFY HOF now, you can bet.

18 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

It's a travesty that the first player to get 100% is a 60 inning-per-year reliever.

Of course he pitched more than 60 innings in 16 of his 19 MLB seasons.

Maybe now the voters can stop obsessing so much about silly things like "first ballot" and "unanimous", and just vote for who deserves to go in.

Archived