Orioles Sign Eric Young Jr to mil deal

Rene88

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think this could impact Stewart and means no return of Adam Jones.

I think it also puts to bed those rumors of signing Bryce Harper.  

And nothing puts the fear of God in a young(er) guy like Stewart more than a journeyman at the same position who's OPS'd .604 in the majors over the last five years.

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think it also puts to bed those rumors of signing Bryce Harper.  

And nothing puts the fear of God in a young(er) guy like Stewart more than a journeyman at the same position who's OPS'd .604 in the majors over the last five years.

You are probably right.  He does well at AAA but has not been able to translate that to the majors.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You are probably right.  He does well at AAA but has not been able to translate that to the majors.

He's hit .300 with an .800 OPS at Salt Lake, but the team OPS'd .841 last year, and they were a .500 team.  You have to take a lot of helium out of those numbers to translate to sea level in Norfolk or Baltimore.  D.J. Stewart's .716 in Norfolk would almost certainly be .800+ at Salt Lake.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He's hit .300 with an .800 OPS at Salt Lake, but the team OPS'd .841 last year, and they were a .500 team.  You have to take a lot of helium out of those numbers to translate to sea level in Norfolk or Baltimore.  D.J. Stewart's .716 in Norfolk would almost certainly be .800+ at Salt Lake.

I just have a problem with Elias fielding two slow guys in the  outfield of with Mancini and Stewart at the same time.   

32 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Impacting Stewart is why I don’t like it. Although, there’s no guarantee he was moving Mancini out of LF.

I can’t see Elias letting a journeyman impact Stewart. This impacts Rickard and may trickle down to Ruiz depending on what type of bench they want. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I wouldn't count on him making the 25-man automatically. It's a minor league deal after all.

Well I could look at it as Diaz and/or  Hays beginning  the  season in AA and Young being a stopgap player at AAA until they are promoted.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I wouldn't count on him making the 25-man automatically. It's a minor league deal after all.

I would certainly hope they're not guaranteeing a 25-man slot to a 32-year-old who is a low-.600s OPS hitter.  If anyone reflexively knocks 200 points off a Salt Lake OPS it's Mike Elias.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think its way too early to jump to conclusions.

I think we can jump right into the conclusion that it would be embarrassing if April 1st rolled around and Norfolk didn't have enough bodies on the roster.

I also think Elias is doing a science experiement.  He wants to see what it's like for a player to go straight from a 120 park effect to an 80.

Archived