Orioles Sign Eric Young Jr to mil deal

Rene88

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Saying that Adam arm has declined is not to say that it is below average for a right fielder.   Stewart's is.  Adam had amazing arm a few years ago.

Stewart is faster and may make up for it with more range. They're also similarly projected offensively. I think they're comparable in value and one is 25 and cheap.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's not odd at all.  He had five teammates at Salt Lake last year who were 30+ and got over 100 PAs.  the 2017 Tides had seven players 30 or older who got 100 PAs.  Last year they had three plus two more at 97.  

If you're not good enough for a full-time MLB gig, you play in AAA and hope for someone to turn an ankle and you're back making a pro-rated portion of $500k a year.

If you look in the Encyclopedias Iron Man McGinnity's MLB career ended at the age of 37 in 1908.  He was still regularly pitching Class D ball in Dubuque at the age of 54 in 1925.

Drungo where do you get all your info? You are like an encyclopedia. You have more info than I could dream of. I've heard of Iron Man but had no idea he was pitching in 1925. 

My take, Young Jr. was signed to compete with Yastrzemski, Bostick and Santander for the 5th starter's spot, but most likely ends up nothing more than a deep depth signing who will end up AAA outfield depth barring an injury. 

Let's assume Elias is not going to want to start the clock of Diaz and Hays, so they're not breaking camp no matter how they play this spring. We also know McKenna is only here for a look and Santander may need a full healthy season at AAA to force his way to the big leagues so I'm taking them out of the equation though Santander could put himself into the RF competition with a big spring. The Orioles will probably carry five outfielder.

There are couple of scenarios:
Trumbo is healthy
Trumbo is not healthy

Scenario #1: Trumbo is not healthy (which is the more obvious choice)

Left Field
DJ Stewart
Joey Rickard
Chris Bostick
Mike Yastrzemski
Eric Young Jr.
Jace Peterson

Center Field
Cedric Mullins
Joey Rickard
Chris Bostick
Mike Yastrzemski
Eric Young Jr.

Right field
Joey Rickard
Chris Bostick
Mike Yastrzemski
Jace Peterson

Scenario #2: Trumbo is healthy and DHs moving Mancini to LF

Left Field
Trey Mancini
Joey Rickard
Mike Yastrzemski
Eric Young Jr.
Jace Peterson

Center Field
Cedric Mullins
Joey Rickard
Chris Bostick
Mike Yastrzemski
Eric Young Jr.

Right field
DJ Stewart
Joey Rickard
Anthony Santander
Mike Yastrzemski
Jace Peterson

I think the 5th outfielder job will come down to who has the best spring and if I had a gun to my head, I think Bostick with his ability to play some infield as well as a good chance of sticking with a decent spring.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

So do you think they would put Stewart in left and Mancini in right?

Stewart's arm is about on par with Mancini. It's not good, but it's not awful. I doubt they want Mancini trying to learn new angles in RF. Honestly I think they will prefer to DH him or put him at 1B, but it will come down to whether Trumbo is healthy or not.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Stewart's arm is about on par with Mancini. It's not good, but it's not awful. I doubt they want Mancini trying to learn new angles in RF. Honestly I think they will prefer to DH him or put him at 1B, but it will come down to whether Trumbo is healthy or not.

Yaz out hit Stewart last year at AAA.    I know Yaz is a couple of years older but if the O's are looking for a stopgap until Hays is ready for the majors, who is a better stopgap right field ? Yaz or Stewart?

40 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Saying that Adam arm has declined is not to say that it is below average for a right fielder.   Stewart's is.  Adam had amazing arm a few years ago.

No it wasn't. He has had a strong arm, but I would never call it accurate and I don't think he excelled at getting rid of the ball quickly, which would allow it to play up. Jones has simply never been that good at CF, either in his reads, his range, or his arm. Even if you thought he was good, nothing about his outfield play was ever amazing, IMO.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Yaz out hit Stewart last year at AAA.    I know Yaz is a couple of years older but if the O's are looking for a stopgap until Hays is ready for the majors, who is a better stopgap right field ? Yaz or Stewart?

You talking about one of them there funny french couples?

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

No it wasn't. He has had a strong arm, but I would never call it accurate and I don't think he excelled at getting rid of the ball quickly, which would allow it to play up. Jones has simply never been that good at CF, either in his reads, his range, or his arm. Even if you thought he was good, nothing about his outfield play was ever amazing, IMO.

Very smooth out there which forces the eye test to upgrade everything.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Right. And what they do with Davis, of course.

It's not inconceivable that Mancini could be the every day 1B by August with DH and all three outfield positions up for grabs. 

Archived