Orioles Sign Eric Young Jr to mil deal

Rene88

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Mr. Young played in over 80 games at AAA in both 2017 and 2018...........seems a little odd for a guy in his 30s?   Am I missing something?

Warm body...probably clears waivers if they need a guy to go back and forth.   Veteranocity?   

11 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Mr. Young played in over 80 games at AAA in both 2017 and 2018...........seems a little odd for a guy in his 30s?   Am I missing something?

That's not odd at all.  He had five teammates at Salt Lake last year who were 30+ and got over 100 PAs.  the 2017 Tides had seven players 30 or older who got 100 PAs.  Last year they had three plus two more at 97.  

If you're not good enough for a full-time MLB gig, you play in AAA and hope for someone to turn an ankle and you're back making a pro-rated portion of $500k a year.

If you look in the Encyclopedias Iron Man McGinnity's MLB career ended at the age of 37 in 1908.  He was still regularly pitching Class D ball in Dubuque at the age of 54 in 1925.

This is interesting.   Young mostly plays left field and he has range even at 33 year old last season.   I can see him coming to camp to see if he can win the left field job and Mancini moving to right field.   Its a minor league contract so nothing is for sure.

Archived