Orioles Sign Eric Young Jr to mil deal

Rene88

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Very smooth out there which forces the eye test to upgrade everything.

It's a pet peeve of mine. People love their hometown players, so they over rate them. Did it with Markakis's defense too. Dude never dropped a ball and did have a plus arm+accuracy, so it wasn't unfounded. His range wasn't very good though, so he was always over rated as a defender, IMO. Same with Jones. I've noticed his arm strength, particularly several years ago. It was very good, but (from my observation, not stat-based) I don't think he could control the tail on his throws. More recently, it *seems* like the arm strength isn't what it used to be either. 

If it's me, I'll take range first in the outfield. I can handle a bit less of an arm with great range. I wonder what the stats prefer?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yaz out hit Stewart last year at AAA.    I know Yaz is a couple of years older but if the O's are looking for a stopgap until Hays is ready for the majors, who is a better stopgap right field ? Yaz or Stewart?

If Yaz was a guy, he would have been brought up here last year instead of Stewart. Ijust have a hard time seeing Yaz beating out Stewart for a starting job. I think RF is Stewart's job to lose this spring.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

True, but Drungo's particularly adept at finding that information quickly. Probably only a couple of clicks away, but I couldn't find half of what he does.

It's called bookmarks! :D

Drungo is a smart guy of course, but it's not too hard to plug in a guy's name and add stats behind it in google, go to his baseball reference page, then click on the team he played for last year to take you to other's who played there as well. 

Baseball reference should be everyone's go to place for non statcast stats. Baseballsavant.com is the place to get the statcast stats. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

It's called bookmarks! :D

Drungo is a smart guy of course, but it's not too hard to plug in a guy's name and add stats behind it in google, go to his baseball reference page, then click on the team he played for last year to take you to other's who played there as well. 

Baseball reference should be everyone's go to place for non statcast stats. Baseballsavant.com is the place to get the statcast stats. 

I was looking for P/PA earlier. Couldn't find it, but probably didn't try hard enough.

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If Yaz was a guy, he would have been brought up here last year instead of Stewart. Ijust have a hard time seeing Yaz beating out Stewart for a starting job. I think RF is Stewart's job to lose this spring.

Different management now.  I think Yaz outplays Stewart this spring.   I would have thought that Elias would bring in a better right fielder.... but not yet

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Different management now.  I think Yaz outplays Stewart this spring.   I would have thought that Elias would bring in a better right fielder.... but not yet

I don't think it makes a difference if Yaz outplays him.

If Stewart doesn't fall flat on his face he's getting a shot.

Yaz is an organizational depth piece.

Archived