Spring Training Observations and Photos/Video Thread

wildcard

Just now, murph said:

Hyde was asked on The Fan about Davis arrival schedule.  He just said, I haven't seen him yet...sorta blew off the question and sounded a bit irritated (not with the question, but with the context).   That's reading a lot into one quick question on a radio interview.  But I would think Davis would like to make a good impression to everyone and arrive early...even if he doesn't believe it will help him prepare at all. 

Or he doesn't care.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, murph said:

Hyde was asked on The Fan about Davis arrival schedule.  He just said, I haven't seen him yet...sorta blew off the question and sounded a bit irritated (not with the question, but with the context).   That's reading a lot into one quick question on a radio interview.  But I would think Davis would like to make a good impression to everyone and arrive early...even if he doesn't believe it will help him prepare at all. 

Spring training is as long as it is to build starting pitchers up to being able to go 6 innings.   It is too long for hitters, and too long for relievers.   I seriously doubt getting there early would help Davis in any way.   I am sure Hyde is far more concerned with:

-- what shape Davis is in when he arrives

-- if they had him work on anything specific in the offseason, did he do so?

-- how he handles whatever instruction/adjustments they give to him in camp.   If they tell him to adjust his approach in a certain way that they feel will improve his outcomes, will he do it?   (In the past he has spoken negatively about wanting to change anything, and he still talks about getting back to his 2014 self).

All that stuff is way more important than showing up before he's required, which is basically just for PR.   It's the equivalent of bringing an apple to the teacher at best, you still have to do well on the exams.

15 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Spring training is as long as it is to build starting pitchers up to being able to go 6 innings.   It is too long for hitters, and too long for relievers.   I seriously doubt getting there early would help Davis in any way.   I am sure Hyde is far more concerned with:

-- how he handles whatever instruction/adjustments they give to him in camp.   If they tell him to adjust his approach in a certain way that they feel will improve his outcomes, will he do it?   (In the past he has spoken negatively about wanting to change anything, and he still talks about getting back to his 2014 self).

All that stuff is way more important than showing up before he's required, which is basically just for PR.   It's the equivalent of bringing an apple to the teacher at best, you still have to do well on the exams.

Agree completely.    Completely PR.   Except this teacher is several hundreds of thousands of Orioles fans and showing up early is the handpicked apple from an exotic apple farm and cleaning it to perfection for that new shiny look.   

But I am also sure that you’re right that Hyde probably does not care as long as he arrives on time with the outlook you suggested.   But he did sound slightly put off by the question for whatever reason.  

5 minutes ago, murph said:

Agree completely.    Completely PR.   Except this teacher is several hundreds of thousands of Orioles fans and showing up early is the handpicked apple from an exotic apple farm and cleaning it to perfection for that new shiny look.   

But I am also sure that you’re right that Hyde probably does not care as long as he arrives on time with the outlook you suggested.   But he did sound slightly put off by the question for whatever reason.  

I think showing up early would be an indication that he was coming in with the right attitude.

51 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Any chance Long can fix him?

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

It gives the  impression that doesn't care. I don't care if he is required or not. He was such a boob last year. Seems to me that he would want to be there for these new coaches to see that this season will be a turnaround for him.  Now he may be a jerk and just doesn't care. IMO 

Archived