Spring Training Observations and Photos/Video Thread

wildcard

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I see Ruiz has being an up/down guy for the big club all year. He Norfolk they’d spread his playing time around the diamond. I like Ruiz. He was a good under the radar claim. 

I think we have to at least try and develop Mountcastle at 3rd. 

Who do you think will play 1B  at Norfolk?

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

I would be surprised if Mountcastle plays much 1st this year. It is either 3rd or LF.

JMO but he doesn't have the arm for 3B.  And I don't know why they would want him in LF with Diaz, McKenna and Hays are coming in the next year.    When Trumbo's contract is up or he is traded that opens a spot for Davis and Mountcastle to be 1B/DHs.  Depending on whether  Davis is able to rebound  Mancini may be teamed with Mountcastle at 1b/DH.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

JMO but he doesn't have the arm for 3B.  And I don't know why they would want him in LF with Diaz, McKenna and Hays are coming in the next year.    When Trumbo's contract is up or he is traded that opens a spot for Davis and Mountcastle to be 1B/DHs.

Should have never moved him to 3B. A move to 2B would have made sense with his arm strength.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

JMO but he doesn't have the arm for 3B.  And I don't know why they would want him in LF with Diaz, McKenna and Hays are coming in the next year.    When Trumbo's contract is up or he is traded that opens a spot for Davis and Mountcastle to be 1B/DHs.

It makes more sense to move left to right on the defensive spectrum with a prospect instead of focusing on immediate team need. You never know who will break out or be traded, and moving him to first prematurely hurts his value.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That is a thought.  I  don't know if he has the mobility to be good at 2B.

Average range with good glove/hand action.

*I’ll have to amend that first statement, but 2B still makes more sense than 3B.

Mountcastle has a well-below-average arm, so third base is unlikely to work out any better than shortstop did, despite adequate instincts and hands for the hot corner. It’s possible Mountcastle could handle second, but he could grow off the keystone as well, making left field or even first base a more likely long-term defensive home. That puts significant pressure on the bat to play to projection.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/43612/2019-prospects-baltimore-orioles-top-10-prospects/

Archived