Spring Training Observations and Photos/Video Thread

wildcard

13 hours ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Would be nice if he did lose 25 lbs. Many have stated that's a component to what may hold him back. And 25 lbs isn't nothing. 

Man 25 lbs is hard as hell to lose in only Nov-Feb. If he’s working out the right way then he’s lifting and gaining muscle too. I give the guy credit.

He’s going to get lots of innings in ST. He’s in a unique category compared to the others. He has a he has a higher MLB ceiling than Hess, Rogers, Ramirez and Co. He’s actually MLB ready compared to Akin, Tate(not high on), Kremer, and Co. 

I’ll root for the “fat” guys this year. Ortiz and Stewart. 

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Man 25 lbs is hard as hell to lose in only Nov-Feb. If he’s working out the right way then he’s lifting and gaining muscle too. I give the guy credit.

He’s going to get lots of innings in ST. He’s in a unique category compared to the others. He has a he has a higher MLB ceiling than Hess, Rogers, Ramirez and Co. He’s actually MLB ready compared to Akin, Tate(not high on), Kremer, and Co. 

As a young, healthy, athletic person looking to lose weight one to two pounds a week is exactly the pace he should have been at.  

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As a young, healthy, athletic person looking to lose weight one to two pounds a week is exactly the pace he should have been at.  

True. Sure you could decrease your diet by 500 or so calories and lose the weight by simply diet and some walking. But Ortiz is preparing for a long MLB season. A season where a workout warrior like Bundy says he losses 20 lbs every year. That’s muscle. So if Ortiz was working out by lifting like squatting, dead lifts, etc..., he could have easily gained 10-15lbs of muscle. So losing 25lbs is quite impressive. 

I hope he didn’t just attend weight watchers meetings and count points, losing 1-2 lbs a week. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

True. Sure you could decrease your diet by 500 or so calories and lose the weight by simply diet and some walking. But Ortiz is preparing for a long MLB season. A season where a workout warrior like Bundy says he losses 20 lbs every year. That’s muscle. So if Ortiz was working out by lifting like squatting, dead lifts, etc..., he could have easily gained 10-15lbs of muscle. So losing 25lbs is quite impressive. 

I hope he didn’t just attend weight watchers meetings and count points, losing 1-2 lbs a week. 

If he's in a position to gain 15 pounds of lean muscle that quickly he's either getting help he was in way worse shape to start than we thought.

I doubt he gained 15 pounds of muscle while also losing 25 pounds overall.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

If he's in a position to gain 15 pounds of lean muscle that quickly he's either getting help rf was in way worse shape to start than we thought.I

I doubt he gained 15 pounds of muscle while also losing 25 pounds overall.

I agree with this, it's hard to gain any lean muscle while simultaneously losing body fat unless one is substantially de-trained, something I wouldn't expect from a professional athlete, even a robustly built one.  

54 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Ortiz getting serious about his weigh loss is notable, but I don't think it makes him more major league ready than Alkin or Kremer.   All three need more time in the minors to develop a third pitch.   Akin and Ortiz probably at AAA and Kremer may begin the season at AA.  Tate has three plus  pitches but needs to refine them and he needs to stay healthy.  He probably begins at AAA.   

Hess'  3.81 ERA in the 2nd with the O's gives him the inside track for the 5th spot in the rotation IMO.   There are about 44 starts that should be available for call ups from he minors  if Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, Karn and Hess pitch as projected this season.   Cobb and Cashner may be traded  in the second half.   

There is no reason to rush Akin, Ortiz, Kremer or Tate to the majors has long as everyone stays healthy on the major league staff(which they probably will not).

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Has Davis struck out yet?

Hyde was asked on The Fan about Davis arrival schedule.  He just said, I haven't seen him yet...sorta blew off the question and sounded a bit irritated (not with the question, but with the context).   That's reading a lot into one quick question on a radio interview.  But I would think Davis would like to make a good impression to everyone and arrive early...even if he doesn't believe it will help him prepare at all. 

Archived