Wolf to the Astros?

Migrant Redbird

Astros acquire Wolf in trade with Padres

As one Cards fan put it. BOTB

Unless I'm missing something here, the Astros appear to have officially lost their collective minds.

They already mortgaged much of their (limited) young talent base this past off-season. Now, 12 games out of lead (and 10 out of the wild card) in late July - they are trading even a limited-potential minor league pitcher for a rent-a-starter. Can you say, "we can't accept reality".

I realize that they made late runs in '04 and '05, but there is no way that they are passing two of the three of the Cards/Cubs/Brewers.

Unless I am missing something here - wow. Just wow.

It's difficult to see how Wolf could make enough difference on a thin Astros pitching staff for them to pass two teams for the wild card. The Cardinals are certainly vulnerable, but I think the Brewers and Cubs will pull away down the stretch when they're not beating up on each other. The Cards have been extremely fortunate to remain in the mix and they need both Wainwright and Carpenter back quickly to have much chance of sticking with the Cubs and Brewers.

The Astros are boned. That's all there is to it. It's going to take a lot of time or a whole lot of money and luck for them to get back in contention in the next decade. It would be very, very wise of them to sell Berkman, Tejada and Lee in the offseason. Or immediately.

as bad as it looks, I can see why the Astros would have done this. For exactly the same reasons the O's should have thought about the same move. You gotta be able to throw someone out there who can go 5 innings. The Astros didn't give up anything for Wolf.

Archived