Orioles Sign Alicides Escobar to MiL Deal

Rene88

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Escobar has lost a lot of range over the years.  He is 32.   Nice to have in camp but I think its hard for him to make the team as a starter.  I will be interested to see if he has an out if he is sent to AAA.

I agree about having an "out."

This seems like a good "emergency plan" pickup, incase the two Rule 5 guys totally crap out this Spring. A cheap, effective plan, while giving him a chance to show what he can do incase they can flip him for a waiver wire claim at the end of spring training if Jackson/Martin don't suck thoroughly.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Escobar has lost a lot of range over the years.  He is 32.   Nice to have in camp but I think its hard for him to make the team as a starter.  I will be interested to see if he has an out if he is sent to AAA.

I don’t see him signing here if he doesn’t think he will start. I would be shocked he isn’t out starting SS on Opening Day. Later on in the season may be different. 

16 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

Roch Kubatko‏Verified account @masnRoch 5m5 minutes ago

Villar now seems certain to play second base with Escobar at SS. Rule 5 picks Richie Martin and Drew Jackson in utility mix #orioles

So he's just automatically the starting SS?

I'd assume Martin would have more range and could even do just as well with the bat.  Escobar's stats from last year aren't great at all.

I’m unclear about the value of this signing. When I started reading, it was,”ok they got a good defender who can’t hit. That’s fine.”
But then it was,”wait a second...he’s been terrible on defense for three years? And he’s older and slowing down? Then what purpose does he serve?

It’s a minor-league signing, so there’s no harm done, but nothing should be done without a clear purpose, and I fail to see any purpose in this signing.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I’m unclear about the value of this signing. When I started reading, it was,”ok they got a good defender who can’t hit. That’s fine.”
But then it was,”wait a second...he’s been terrible on defense for three years? And he’s older and slowing down? Then what purpose does he serve?

It’s a minor-league signing, so there’s no harm done, but nothing should be done without a clear purpose, and I fail to see any purpose in this signing.

Yeah, agreed.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

He makes 700k which is peanuts. We have no idea about being able to make the jump for Martin. No reason they can’t play both of them. 

Archived