Orioles Sign Alicides Escobar to MiL Deal

Rene88

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

What does the future have to do with 2019? He isn’t a long term solution. No matter how bad we will be, having a proven SS at a cheap price has value. If/when Martin shows he can handle it full time then they can always cut bait. The key this year is to develop Martin not for him to play X number of games.

No reason they still can’t keep Jackson as well. He can be a super utility player. Also you can still play Martin plenty.  

Sure. If we keep them both Drew just becomes the fifth outfielder. 

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

What does the future have to do with 2019? He isn’t a long term solution. No matter how bad we will be, having a proven SS at a cheap price has value. If/when Martin shows he can handle it full time then they can always cut bait. The key this year is to develop Martin not for him to play X number of games.

No reason they still can’t keep Jackson as well. He can be a super utility player. Also you can still play Martin plenty.  

The only thing Alcides Escobar has proven recently is that he is a really bad Major League Baseball player. 

Esky Magic to cushion the blow of Esskay stopping production?  Guys like Escobar battling Rule V picks for a job on full-on rebuilders is baseball circle of life magic.

At the end of these two years, no one in Oriole fandom should ever have to wonder about "what is a replacement level player" again.

4 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

The only thing Alcides Escobar has proven recently is that he is a really bad Major League Baseball player. 

This isn’t about WAR. This is about having a competent fielding MLB SS. He also started 30 games at 3B last year. 

Every move made in relation to what we already have is to improve  the defensive stability of the team. 

We have absolutely no idea what we are going to get from Martin, Jackson and/or Alberto as a big league ss. However we have a pretty good idea what we can get from Escobar. He’s a serviceable major league ss provide veteran leadership at a position where we have none and can take some pressure off the young guys. Does this move helping us win now? No. Does it possibly help us in developing our young shortstops? I would say yes.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

This isn’t about WAR. This is about having a competent fielding MLB SS. He also started 30 games at 3B last year. 

Every move made in relation to what we already have is to improve  the defensive stability of the team. 

How is the 2018 version of Escobar supposed to improve the defense of the team?

I'm fine with a no hit good field SS ( I don't even need great field), but that isn't what he was last year.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I’m unclear about the value of this signing. When I started reading, it was,”ok they got a good defender who can’t hit. That’s fine.”
But then it was,”wait a second...he’s been terrible on defense for three years? And he’s older and slowing down? Then what purpose does he serve?

It’s a minor-league signing, so there’s no harm done, but nothing should be done without a clear purpose, and I fail to see any purpose in this signing.

It's just a minor league deal. No harm in having him in ST. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't disagree but I don't see an Andrelton Simmons level glove guy here.  I never said our SS needs to hit .300 with 30 homers, either.

Well, to be honest, not even Manny Machado is Andrelton Simmons, who might be the best shortstop to ever play the game(sorry Ozzie)

But it was my understanding that Martin’s Glove was elite, and Jackson’s was at least plus. Is that incorrect?

Archived