Question: Is that Ryan Mountcastle at first base?

wildcard

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Just means eating a big caloric surplus rather than counting calories and eating a measured surplus with specific macro-nutrient allocations. 

Oh.

The picture in my mind's eye was much more entertaining.

On the bright side I now have Zappa's Dirty Love stuck in my head.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Oh.

The picture in my mind's eye was much more entertaining.

It's hard to gain muscle without gaining fat. I went on a bulk when my wife was pregnant with our first kid and gained about 40 pounds in 8 months. It was almost half fat though, I just ate a ton and lifted a bunch, not very scientific. Hopefully Mountcastle's bulk was a bit leaner than that, I'd guess it was. 

Just now, Luke-OH said:

It's hard to gain muscle without gaining fat. I went on a bulk when my wife was pregnant with our first kid and gained about 40 pounds in 8 months. It was almost half fat though, I just ate a ton and lifted a bunch, not very scientific. Hopefully Mountcastle's bulk was a bit leaner than that, I'd guess it was. 

I'm familiar with the concepts you are discussing, just hadn't heard that terminology.

1 hour ago, WalkWithElias said:

To Mountcastle's credit, it sounds like he doesn't have an ego about his position. He knows its his bat that's going to carry him and he wants to find a spot where he can best contribute in the field. He was a high draft pick and a HS shortstop. He could have been insulted by being toss a first base mitt, but looks like he's taking it in stride. Show good attitude. 

Everyone is a high school short stop. 

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

28 pounds of muscle!? He definitely ate a tub of protein after 8 pm... 

It'll be interesting to see how the extra mass plays into his position and movement.

Yeah, I'm not buying that he added 28 lbs of muscle.  Even if that were possible, I'd question how appropriate it would be for a baseball player to undertake such a workout and diet program, especially one who still entertains hope of sticking in the INF and not at 1B.

47 minutes ago, atomic said:

Everyone is a high school short stop. 

That's not true

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

7 of the first 10 high school position players picked in the 2018 draft didn't play SS on their HS teams.

Also, even high school shortstops don't always get drafted as shortstops nor do they spend time in pro ball as a shortstop. 

Just now, WalkWithElias said:

Also, even high school shortstops don't always get drafted as shortstops nor do they spend time in pro ball as a shortstop. 

That's definetly true, of the 3 who did play SS in the 2018, Matt McClain (who didn't sign) was drafted as a 2B and Groshans has already been basically moved to 3B. Turang is the only guy of the top 10 HS position players who'll make it to A ball as a SS.

3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

That's definetly true, of the 3 who did play SS in the 2018, Matt McClain (who didn't sign) was drafted as a 2B and Groshans has already been basically moved to 3B. Turang is the only guy of the top 10 HS position players who'll make it to A ball as a SS.

Maybe it has changed recently, but it used to be very rare to draft a second baseman in the high rounds.  Much was made of the Orioles' risky/forward-looking/different (okay, mostly stupid) decision to draft Mike Fontenot with the 19th overall pick in '01.

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Maybe it has changed recently, but it used to be very rare to draft a second baseman in the high rounds.  Much was made of the Orioles' risky/forward-looking/different (okay, mostly stupid) decision to draft Mike Fontenot with the 19th overall pick in '01.

Syd Thrift brilliant move.

Archived