Austin Hays

LAOSfan

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I don't really care who starts where as long as Mancini doesn't play in the OF anymore. 

His days are numbered out there. Just a matter of time. It will be this year at some point he is moved to 1B/DH.  

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

His days are numbered out there. Just a matter of time. It will be this year at some point he is moved to 1B/DH.  

I think the best thing that can happen to this team is getting rid of Davis and moving Mancini to 1st.  Or getting rid of Trumbo and having Mancini DH.  Ideally they get rid of both.

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think the best thing that can happen to this team is getting rid of Davis and moving Mancini to 1st.  Or getting rid of Trumbo and having Mancini DH.  Ideally they get rid of both.

Trumbo looks to be starting the season on the DL. Then after the trade deadline we’ll probably just release him. So at most, Trumbo is a 2.5 month inconvenience to the youngsters. By then we should be able roll with an OF made up of whoever is performing out of Mullins, Hays, Diaz, Stewart, Santander, and Rickard. 

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I just can’t see the Orioles letting this go on forever. I think they give Davis half a season or so to try to right himself. By that time hopefully some of the younger bats are ready to come up. 

43 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Trumbo looks to be starting the season on the DL. Then after the trade deadline we’ll probably just release him. So at most, Trumbo is a 2.5 month inconvenience to the youngsters. By then we should be able roll with an OF made up of whoever is performing out of Mullins, Hays, Diaz, Stewart, Santander, and Rickard. 

I certainly think it is possible they just release him. Perhaps out of respect they keep him on the roster but will not allow him to block anyone they want to play. It would be nice for him if a contender picked him up in September. I think this time next year good chance Trumbo is out of baseball. 

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd be careful what you wish for with regard to Mancini.  Last year, Mancini had a .715 OPS and 97 OPS+.  Trumbo had a .764 OPS and 110 OPS+.  

Anyway, this is a Hays thread.  :)

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

I'd be careful what you wish for with regard to Mancini.  Last year, Mancini had a .715 OPS and 97 OPS+.  Trumbo had a .764 OPS and 110 OPS+. 

Yeah, but I suspect Mancini's true talent level is a bit better than that and there's a tiny chance it's much better than that. Trumbo will likely decline a bit given his age and there's a small chance he falls off a cliff with regards to his production

2 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Yeah, but I suspect Mancini's true talent level is a bit better than that and there's a tiny chance it's much better than that. Trumbo will likely decline a bit given his age and there's a small chance he falls off a cliff with regards to his production

I don't see any cause for optimism for Mancini.  He's about to turn 27 - he should already be in his prime.  Having an OPS+ below 100 for a 1st baseman/DH isn't adequate, imo.  The chances that he gets worse seem to me to be just as strong as the chances he improves.

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Anyway, this is a Hays thread.  :)

He had a .923 OPS as a DH last year and .928 for his career. Mark Trumbo is basically the opposite. His stats are much better when he's in the field rather than as a DH. Mancini should be the DH, Trumbo should be the 1B and Davis should never see a baseball field again in his life.

Realistically though, it'll probably take half a season of Davis futility to see this happen and at that point a corner OF spot will presumably open up for Hays or Diaz.

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

I don't see any cause for optimism for Mancini.  He's about to turn 27 - he should already be in his prime.  Having an OPS+ below 100 for a 1st baseman/DH isn't adequate, imo.  The chances that he gets worse seem to me to be just as strong as the chances he improves.

The fact that he had a strong second half gives me optimism for Mancini.   By which I mean, I think he’s closer to his career average (.777) than to last year’s performance (.715).    I don’t think he’s anything fabulous, but he should be adequate.   

Archived