Austin Hays

LAOSfan

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bases loaded double and a solo homer for Hays tonight.    He’s making a really strong case for heading north with the big club.    

If Trumbo starts on the DL, I think he's in.  Looks like Santander and Hays could be the last two position players making the roster as things currently shake out. 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The HR and 2B Hays hit today were impressive more because of the pitches they came on than the actual results.

The HR was off of Jonathan Holder's slider, a good one from the look of it. He went down and scooped it out of the gutter. Holder's slider was his best pitch in 2018 with a plus spin rate of 2685 RPM. It allowed a measly .180 wOBA in 2018. He's thrown the pitch 410x in the majors and it's only yielded 1 HR.

The 2B was off a 96mph FB from Jonathan Loaisiga in the zone, but in the upper 1/3 and inner 1/3 of the zone, running towards the hands. Easy pitch to get jammed on. 

6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

The HR and 2B Hays hit today were impressive more because of the pitches they came on than the actual results.

The HR was off of Jonathan Holder's slider, a good one from the look of it. He went down and scooped it out of the gutter. Holder's slider was his best pitch in 2018 with a plus spin rate of 2685 RPM. It allowed a measly .180 wOBA in 2018. He's thrown the pitch 410x in the majors and it's only yielded 1 HR.

The 2B was off a 96mph FB from Jonathan Loaisiga in the zone, but in the upper 1/3 and inner 1/3 of the zone, running towards the hands. Easy pitch to get jammed on. 

Hays might be the best "bad ball" hitter in the system right now. He has that rare ability to really scoop up the low pitches and either keep his hands in on inside pitches, or extend on ones away and still drive the ball.

7 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Awesome info. Well I think you can change the pencil to pen when writing in Hays’ name into the OD roster. 

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Hays might be the best "bad ball" hitter in the system right now. He has that rare ability to really scoop up the low pitches and either keep his hands in on inside pitches, or extend on ones away and still drive the ball.

I remember that after the 2017 season one prospect guru said that Hays was more like Vlad as a hitter than Vlad Jr was. 

Man they have to give us something to root for in April... have to have Hays starting in the OF.

Then bring up Diaz later and have my dream OF of Mullins/Rickard, Hays, Diaz, with Mancini at 1B and Mountcastle/Santander at DH. That could be fun to watch. Need to cut Davis and Trumbo ASAP.

12 hours ago, Jagwar said:

I love watching him hit homers, but I love watching him hit to the opposite field and run like a cheetah for a triple even more.

But his power will be what makes it work as an MLB player. 

4 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Man they have to give us something to root for in April... have to have Hays starting in the OF.

Then bring up Diaz later and have my dream OF of Mullins/Rickard, Hays, Diaz, with Mancini at 1B and Mountcastle/Santander at DH. That could be fun to watch. Need to cut Davis and Trumbo ASAP.

Davis is rather discouraging. I'm ready to cut bait there. I'd keep Trumbo for now and see if you can flip him at the deadline to save some of the cash. I'm more concerned with what the roster looks like in August than in April.

10 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, but what did he have for breakfast in the morning. Wow, what an analysis! Thanks.

25 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I'll consider this a successful season no matter the wins/losses if this all plays out.  

10 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I read this again and...I think I need to dump a big cup of ice down my pants.  

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I read this again and...I think I need to dump a big cup of ice down my pants.  

I am very pleased with how things are going.  It has been a bit more challenging than I thought to reign in my optimism.  SSS and yada yada yada, but Hays, Diaz, Santander just in the outfield have sparkled in a way that makes one dream of good things to come.  Then add in that several of the infielders have also shown signs of potential and one starts to accelerate expectations.

Fortunately, the Orioles still have a pitching staff that is guaranteed to keep our expectations in check.  And of course our actual lineup will contain two players who will not play for the next winning baseball team.  Ok, back to reality.  Lol!

Archived