Horrible O's Outfield review on Orioles.com

wildcard

Joe Trezza just blow's this review.   

Factually incorrect.  Rickard has two options left. He is not out of options. Completely omits Mike Yastrzemski who got a ST invitation because he outplayed Stewart at AAA. Calls Santander's winter league performance strong in spite of only a 251/322/426/748 hitting line.   The title says their is ample competition when in truth the competition is pretty weak.  He appears to only talk about Stewart's  September call up performance and ignores his year at AAA.   Does not talk about Mullins problems hitting lefties.

I found this review disappointing.  Especially for  an Orioles.com article.  They miss Brit.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-outfield-remains-uncertain

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Completely omits Mike Yastrzemski who got a ST invitation because he outplayed Stewart at AAA. Calls Santander's winter league performance strong in spite of only a 251/322/426/748 hitting line. 

Yaz slashed 250/.339/414/753 last year across all levels at the age of 27.  As you note, a .750 OPS is not terribly strong.

The fact he said Rickard is out of options is pretty glaring. I actually thought he only had one left but you are correct he has 2. I thought he used one in 17 and didn’t. 

The fact that Stewart was called up last year and Yaz wasn’t means something. He should have thrown his name into the mix but I don’t know if anyone who thinks he makes the team.

It wasn’t a great breakdown but give him some time to judge him   

Other than the mistake about Rickard’s options, I didn’t think the article was bad.    wildcard has been crushing on Little Yaz all winter, and though it’s nice that he earned a spring invite, he’s not on the 40-man roster and his odds of making the OD roster are extremely long.   I don’t think it’s a big deal that Trezza didn’t mention him.   As to whether Santander had a “strong” showing in the Venezuelan Winter League, the mean OPS there is about .717.   In that context, .748 is a pretty solid hitting line.    You can debate whether to call it “strong” but it’s certainly not bad.    

I miss Britt but overall think Trezza is doing solid work so far.    

He is watching the team train right now, and he must be impressed with what he seen in the “ample” competition.

Everyone makes mistakes, it is his first month or so on the job.

He must not be impressed by Yaz if he is standing there watching him, and he omits him in the article about the OF. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Joe Trezza just blow's this review.   

Factually incorrect.  Rickard has two options left. He is not out of options. Completely omits Mike Yastrzemski who got a ST invitation because he outplayed Stewart at AAA. Calls Santander's winter league performance strong in spite of only a 251/322/426/748 hitting line.   The title says their is ample competition when in truth the competition is pretty weak.  He appears to only talk about Stewart's  September call up performance and ignores his year at AAA.   Does not talk about Mullins problems hitting lefties.

I found this review disappointing.  Especially for  an Orioles.com article.  They miss Brit.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-outfield-remains-uncertain

Sounds like you may have to find a different man crush if Santander and Stewart are standing out way more than Yaz

3 minutes ago, TGO said:

Competition between flawed/limited players is still competition.

That’s what I say.   I didn’t interpret Trezza as saying our outfield group is good, just that there is a lot of competition to earn a roster spot and playing time.   

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Other than the mistake about Rickard’s options, I didn’t think the article was bad.    wildcard has been crushing on Little Yaz all winter, and though it’s nice that he earned a spring invite, he’s not on the 40-man roster and his odds of making the OD roster are extremely long.   I don’t think it’s a big deal that Trezza didn’t mention him.   As to whether Santander had a “strong” showing in the Venezuelan Winter League, the mean OPS there is about .717.   In that context, .748 is a pretty solid hitting line.    You can debate whether to call it “strong” but it’s certainly not bad.    

I miss Britt but overall think Trezza is doing solid work so far.    

Britt is very good. 

One thing about the OF I will say is that this is a huge year for Rickard. He will be playing for his career.  He turns 28 and will be eligible for arbitration next year. Does it make sense for the Orioles to keep someone like him around next year ? The OF could be Diaz, Mullins and Hays with some others in the mix. 

I think if someone like Yaz is to make the team at some point this year it would be to replace a Rickard.  

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

One thing about the OF I will say is that this is a huge year for Rickard. He will be playing for his career.  He turns 28 and will be eligible for arbitration next year. Does it make sense for the Orioles to keep someone like him around next year ? The OF could be Diaz, Mullins and Hays with some others in the mix. 

I think if someone like Yaz is to make the team at some point this year it would be to replace a Rickard.  

Joey Rickard is what he is.  Unless Sig and Elias can use their magic analytic pixie dust to coax an .800 OPS performance out of him or even a .750 performance, he's a 4th outfielder type.  

Huge year for him, I agree.  But I don't think anyone should expect much.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

.....  But I don't think anyone should expect much.

Lmao after being forced to witness last year I sure don’t hope anyone is expecting much from any of these guys.

We will be happy with anything better than complete ineptitude after last year’s bad news bears team.

Not expecting much is part of being a long time sane Orioles fan.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Joey Rickard is what he is.  Unless Sig and Elias can use their magic analytic pixie dust to coax an .800 OPS performance out of him or even a .750 performance, he's a 4th outfielder type.  

Huge year for him, I agree.  But I don't think anyone should expect much.

I don’t expect much. I think his days are numbered here unless the competition collapses. I just think if someone was trying to paint a scenario for a Yaz type to get a shot it would be at his expense. 

When Hays and Diaz are up here they can certainly cover CF if they want to sit Mullins some.  

Outside of Mullins the biggest OF storyline is Stewart. This is his chance. Top pick, just turned 25 and young talent right behind him that’s on the way. He needs to produce.  

Just now, eddie83 said:

I don’t expect much. I think his days are numbered here unless the competition collapses. I just think if someone was trying to paint a scenario for a Yaz type to get a shot it would be at his expense. 

When Hays and Diaz are up here they can certainly cover CF if they want to sit Mullins some.  

Outside of Mullins the biggest OF storyline is Stewart. This is his chance. Top pick, just turned 25 and young talent right behind him that’s on the way. He needs to produce.  

I agree.  Rickard is the easiest one to get squeezed.  A guy like Rickard needs every opportunity to show that he can play.  A guy like Hays or Diaz gets every opportunity to show they CAN'T play.  

Archived