Horrible O's Outfield review on Orioles.com

wildcard

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

In this universe.  But how do we know that this universe is real?  What if it's all a big holodeck?  Or some guy's class project?

Does it matter?  If the entire universe is a simulation run by a computer, or God, or a person...it is the framework we exist in and it's all we got.   What does "real" really mean?

11 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Does it matter?  If the entire universe is a simulation run by a computer, or God, or a person...it is the framework we exist in and it's all we got.   What does "real" really mean?

We could wake up one day and we're in some other universe where clutch hitting is all there is.  And John McGraw never got into that spat with Ban Johnson, and the Yankees never existed.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

We could wake up one day and we're in some other universe where clutch hitting is all there is.  And John McGraw never got into that spat with Ban Johnson, and the Yankees never existed.

If the Yankees hadn't existed someone would have had to invent them.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You will probably enjoy this short story by the famed alternate history writer Harry Turtledove:

https://www.tor.com/2009/06/23/the-house-that-george-built/

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Turtledove's bread and butter is alternative history.

Even his fantasy is pretty much alternative history.

I know, I've read literally dozens of his books, although for the most part I have avoided the fantasy stuff.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the Yankees hadn't existed someone would have had to invent them.

It would have been the Giants.  And the AL would be know as The League That Doesn't Have to Put Up With New York.

Actually... think about this.  The AL/NL peace deal was in 1903.  If McGraw had just stopped being such a jerk for another year they'd have never moved the Orioles to New York after they'd made peace.  And they'd have never let McGraw steal half the O's roster and transfer it to the NL.  Just behave yourself for one more year, Muggsey.  I know what I'm doing when I get a time machine.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It would have been the Giants.  And the AL would be know as The League That Doesn't Have to Put Up With New York.

Actually... think about this.  The AL/NL peace deal was in 1903.  If McGraw had just stopped being such a jerk for another year they'd have never moved the Orioles to New York after they'd made peace.  And they'd have never let McGraw steal half the O's roster and transfer it to the NL.  Just behave yourself for one more year, Muggsey.  I know what I'm doing when I get a time machine.

Tell Washington to treat Arnold with a bit more respect?

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

I'll have to read this.  I like alternate history.  Really into Man in the High Castle.

In case you didn't click, the entire story is on the web at the link, free.   And it's not long.  I just re-read it in the time since I posted the link.

Archived