Yusniel Diaz is very impressive

wildcard

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

The original comment was about Cubans having good genes, not about how dedicated Cubans are to playing baseball.   Still, I see the comment as silly, not racist.    Cuba is a multi-racial society, 64% white, 27% mixed, 9% black.   So how is the comment about race?   It’s just kind of a silly offhand remark.  

Yes. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

No it isn’t, because Cuba is a country, not a race.    And it’s very far from a mono-racial country.    If you said Americans had good genes, would that be racist?    What race would we be talking about?    

It's not racist, but it most certainly is stereotyping.

Anyway, it wasn't my intent to make a big deal out of this. I know that he meant to pay Diaz a compliment I just didn't want us to go any further down the genetic road. Chalk up the success to the man, his talent, and his work ethic not the country that he's from. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I have heard diametrically opposed things about how well Díaz reacts to coaching.    Some say he’s stubborn, some say he’s very coachable.    I guess we’ll see.   It’s a big year for him, for sure.    

I really wonder how I might react if I was a top prospect in a great organization (LAD) that got traded to an organization like the O's. It's like checking out of the Four Seasons and moving into a Motel 6, and your coaches are mad that you don't like it. 

I'll give the guy a minute with the new regime. Hopefully competence breeds contentment.

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Swedish women have awesome genes.

Racist!  Sorry, couldn't help myself. 

It's not, although would be by Atomic's definition. 

I'll leave genetic comments out of it in the future.  I honestly didn't even mean anything by the original comment, just tongue and cheek mostly. 

• Upvote 1

SB Nation/Camden Chat's, Nick Cicere, is effusive in his praise of Yusniel Diaz as he waxes and samples quotes from the blogosphere, to wit:

"It’s pretty easy to understand why scouts have never questioned Diaz’s projectability as a hitter. There’s a consensus that Diaz’s floor remains relatively high, because his bat alone will eventually make him an everyday outfielder. As much as we’d like to believe that Diaz is capable of becoming the kind of hitter he was traded for, Manny Machado, such a revelation is unlikely. That isn’t to say that he can’t, however."

"According to Jon Meoli of the Baltimore Sun, Diaz fell victim to an inconsistent toe-tap he used for most of the 2018 season. Diaz STILL posted career highs in home runs (11) and OPS (.841) a season ago, though you can see he looked much stiffer at the plate in 2018 than he does now." (see article for video)

"Granted, Diaz is such a natural hitter that he makes the toe-tap look prettier than most, but there was obviously more to be unearthed. Meoli even wrote that Orioles coaches of the before time recognized changes were going to have to be made. Now, Diaz has reintroduced a leg kick into his swing, putting him in a more comfortable space."

"The leg kick makes sense, given the nature of success stories like Justin Turner and Josh Donaldson and many other big leaguers that fancy its use. As was noted before, Rule 5 pick Richie Martin adopted the same hitting style a season ago, helping lead to his breakout offensive campaign in 2018."

usa_today_12179302.0.jpg

https://www.camdenchat.com/2019/2/26/18240714/yusniel-diaz-orioles-2019-spring-training

Edited by bobmc