Can Harvey make the team?

HowAboutThat

I don't think making the team out of Spring Training is in the cards. He's missed too much time and has too few innings above A ball. 

If they decide to put him in the pen I can see him moving fast through Bowie/Norfolk and being back in Baltimore at some point in the season though.  

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If the O's take their best 25 north he would probably be one of them.  But I am not sure that is the criteria  for making the team.

I highly doubt Harvey is one of the Orioles' best 25 right now, even with this threadbare roster.

11 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

I highly doubt Harvey is one of the Orioles' best 25 right now, even with this threadbare roster.

Do the O's have five starters that can match Harvey's grades?

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 60 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 50 | Overall: 50

Just now, wildcard said:

Do the O's have five starters that can match Harvey's grades?

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 60 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 50 | Overall: 50

You're asking the wrong question. This isn't about upside. It's about whether the Orioles have five starters who are more major league ready right now than Harvey is.

Considering he hasn't pitched since last June, has had a string of injuries the last few years, and had a 5.57 ERA in his first experience above A-ball, there's zero chance Harvey is ready to pitch in the majors right now. Let him get his reps in the minors and improve his game before you even consider putting him on the big league roster.

1 minute ago, PaulFolk said:

You're asking the wrong question. This isn't about upside. It's about whether the Orioles have five starters who are more major league ready right now than Harvey is.

Considering he hasn't pitched since last June, has had a string of injuries the last few years, and had a 5.57 ERA in his first experience above A-ball, there's zero chance Harvey is ready to pitch in the majors right now. Let him get his reps in the minors and improve his game before you even consider putting him on the big league roster.

I agree with all that.   I think his stuff is probably as good or better than the O's top 5 starters right now.  But that is probably not the criteria that will be used to select who goes north.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Then have Harvey work his way up to a half season with no trips to the DL.

I'll consider it a minor miracle at this point. The thought of Harvey actually panning out seems so far fetched to me at this stage of his development.

Archived