Donnie Hart DFA!

Legend_Of_Joey

3 minutes ago, weams said:

Donnie Hart is not a Major league pitcher.  And Loogies have no place in the game. 

Definitely headed in that direction...particularly with limitations on pitching changes (or proposed changes).

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SteveA said:

But he wasn't a week ago when we claimed Osich and let him go instead of Hart.

He may not be more important than Hart. The Giants thought he was important, and if we want him we have to keep him on the 40-man. We don’t know what anyone thinks of Hart.

48 minutes ago, nate22 said:

Maybe the plan was to DFA Hart all along and hope he slipped through waivers. After his solid outing, and supposing he has more outings like that, then the chances of him being claimed would go up. So DFA'ing him now gives the O's a better chance of keeping him. Most teams probably are still evaluating their own loogys now anyway Then again, maybe I'm just overthinking this.

Left handed reliever with three weeks left in ST.   Someone probably claims him.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

I think it's just a matter of first trying to get Alberto thru waivers.  When that didn't work, and they then had a shot to get him back, they did, hoping now that Hart will slide thru waivers so they can outright him.  I don't think these types of machinations are really all that unusual.

Plausible theory. Alberto has been claimed 4 times this offseason already.  Obviously teams are valuing him enough. It could just be “well let’s try and pass Hart through”. 

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't see Wilkerson making the team out of camp.  He has an option and will probably go to Norfolk.   I don't see Alberto effecting him. 

Alberto is out of options.   Bringing him back means he is competing with Martin and Jackson IMO.

Who are both rule 5. Hansel may well be rule five and Escobar insurance 

4 hours ago, weams said:

Donnie Hart is not a Major league pitcher.  And Loogies have no place in the game. 

Hear, hear! 

And citing that he’s struck out two of three hitters faced this spring borders on the ridiculous. 

I’m sure they’ve seen quite a bit more than a SSS in one game to evaluate he’s not worth protecting. 

Maybe they saw enough in his work other than in his one outing to make an assessment he’s a run-of-the-mill NON ML pitcher.

Maybe they were giving him the benefit of the doubt and that is now over. Who cares???

It’s Donnie freakin’ Hart. 

43 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Hear, hear! 

And citing that he’s struck out two of three hitters faced this spring borders on the ridiculous. 

Only citing it to point out that he did nothing between Feb.  22 and March 1 that would cause the O’s to change their mind about Alberto vs. Hart, which they apparently did.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Only citing it to point out that he did nothing between Feb.  22 and March 1 that would cause the O’s to change their mind about Alberto vs. Hart, which they apparently did.  

The only thing that I can think happen is that Elias got a look at Martin, Jackson and Escobar and decided that Alberto might be better than one or two of them.   

5 hours ago, Number5 said:

I think it's just a matter of first trying to get Alberto thru waivers.  When that didn't work, and they then had a shot to get him back, they did, hoping now that Hart will slide thru waivers so they can outright him.  I don't think these types of machinations are really all that unusual.

I think this is pretty accurate. Claiming guys and then trying to squeeze them through waivers later is a classic way to try and get 26th-30th man type of talent in the organization. I was actually surprised Hart wasn't DFA'd earlier. I'd be surprised if he was taken of waivers.

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think this is pretty accurate. Claiming guys and then trying to squeeze them through waivers later is a classic way to try and get 26th-30th man type of talent in the organization. I was actually surprised Hart wasn't DFA'd earlier. I'd be surprised if he was taken of waivers.

The best time to get players out of option through waivers is the day before opening day.  I am kind of surprised  after keeping Hart this long they didn't wait until just before opening day.   They must value Alberto more than Hart.   

I think someone claims Hart. Lefties are normally in demand.

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Quite possible the depth is so thin he was never really in their plans. As others have stated, he might clear waivers. If he doesn’t,  it’s not like it matters. 

I’m no huge fan of Alberto, but even less so of Hart.

Archived