Can Mullins have a bad spring .....

wildcard

and still make the opening day 25 man roster?

After one week Mullins is hitting 182/308/273/580.  We hope that does not continue through the spring but what if it does? Mullins hit 235/312/359/671 in 170 at bat in 2018 in the majors.   

Does Mullins get handed a 25 man roster spot or does he have to earn it in ST?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think so. He had moderate success in 2018. I think the fans are expecting him. He’s already on the 40 man. Not a lot of other options right now. 

Do we weigh 2019 ST over 2018 success?  Diaz and Hays both struggled a bit in Bowie in 2018.  Hays is a ? in CF at the MLB level. Diaz is a RF. Diaz isn’t on the 40 man roster. 

I think we need vet OF depth anyway. EY JR isn’t enough. 

I think he’ll make the team almost no matter what.    We don’t have anyone else with pure CF defensive skills, and the guys who “sort of” do (like Hays and Diaz) need a bit more seasoning and we wouldn’t want them up for service time reasons.    

Anyway, 13 PA is the equivalent of three full games, hardly worth getting jumpy about.    I realize the OP is not based solely on that, and is posing a hypothetical.    But I’m just saying we can cross that bridge when we come to it.    

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's one week of ST. 

Can we stop making projections/assumptions/declarations?  

I mean, if one week of regular season games is considered a small sample size, I think a week of ST games should be considered a minuscule sample size.

Agree on this, but if his numbers are horrible at the end of the month I don’t think he is making the 25 man roster.

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Agree on this, but if his numbers are horrible at the end of the month I don’t think he is making the 25 man roster.

Anything is possible but why on a team that isn’t a contender would this be the mindset? If there is ever a team that should promote opportunity for young players it is this one. I’m not saying if on June 22 he is hitting .207 you can’t send him down but not after a bad spring. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Anything is possible but why on a team that isn’t a contender would this be the mindset? If there is ever a team that should promote opportunity for young players it is this one. I’m not saying if on June 22 he is hitting .207 you can’t send him down but not after a bad spring. 

You’ve changed my mind on this let him play.  This is what happens when your team has no organizational depth.  

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's one week of ST. 

Can we stop making projections/assumptions/declarations?  

I mean, if one week of regular season games is considered a small sample size, I think a week of ST games should be considered a minuscule sample size.

Usually I would agree, but keep in mind we literally had an offseason of only signing Nate Karns to a MLB deal. It’s also the first time people are seeing/hearing these some of the new guys against outside of milb box scores. Lastly, we haven’t had ST comp for so long. 

39 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Rickard in center if Mullins does not earn a spot?

21 minutes ago, terphoopsfan said:

I'd rather play CF than have to watch another inning of Rickard at all. We know what he is already, if we're going to lose i'd rather it be with the kids we think might be the future. 

I think Mullins’ range in CF would outweigh any offensive advantage Rickard might have, despite Mullins’ weaker arm.   

Archived