TT: Early Spring Training Observations

Tony-OH

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

1) not a word about Sisco’s d. Unless we hear otherwise, we have to assume it’s still awful. He is not just hitting for power, he’s also not striking out, which is good. But it is really good enough to overlook his D. If he’s really hitting well, bring him north as the DH and let Sucre or Perez be backup C.

2) is Wright for real? Are the guys he’s faced front-line players or AA scrubs?

3) Mancini in LF? Mike, Mike, Mike, how can you break our hearts so soon? Is there a dumber move possible than letting Trey trundle around the outfield again?

4) Núñez is bad on defense, and Mike likes Ruiz. Ruiz has to have the edge.

Signing Chris Davis to a 7 year, $161 million dollar contract...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

His defense wasn't awful last year.

He was below average.

Not even close to the same thing.

It isn't just Gold Glove/Above average/Awful.

I remember at least once there was a backup for his throws back to the pitcher. 

Jon Shepard at Camden Depot had an insightful article that showed that his caught stealing rate was a mirage, because the pitchers were focusing on helping him get the runner. When that stopped, so did his CS success.

I guess you’re saying his defense( regardless of where it is on the scale) isn’t enough to cancel out his offense, and if that is so then I’ll withdraw my objection.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

I remember at least once there was a backup for his throws back to the pitcher. 

Jon Shepard at Camden Depot had an insightful article that showed that his caught stealing rate was a mirage, because the pitchers were focusing on helping him get the runner. When that stopped, so did his CS success.

I guess you’re saying his defense( regardless of where it is on the scale) isn’t enough to cancel out his offense, and if that is so then I’ll withdraw my objection.

No, I am saying he was below average on defense last year.  He wasn't awful.  I'll also say that a catcher's defense is about more than throwing out baserunners.

I'm not sure where his offense is going to settle, it certainly didn't look good enough last year.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, I am saying he was below average on defense last year.  He wasn't awful.  I'll also say that a catcher's defense is about more than throwing out baserunners.

I'm not sure where his offense is going to settle, it certainly didn't look good enough last year.

Last year in the Spring, he hit over .400 but without this power display too.

It will be interesting to see how things are going by June.

36 minutes ago, Philip said:

2) is Wright for real? Are the guys he’s faced front-line players or AA scrubs?

The Red Sox lineup he faced today was pretty good. Still most of them when Yefry Ramirez came in for innings 4-6. Still, it's early. I think the pitchers are still just a little ahead of the hitters at this point. Sox only had 5 or 6 hits all day. One long drive to their "triangle" in CF for a triple and Bogarts CRUSHED a mistake out of the stadium. The rest just garden variety singles.

Let him/them go til March 15 or 20 and then see who rises.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

No? What are the guidelines?

http://www.mlb.com/pa/pdf/jda.pdf

Stimulant ViolationsA Player who tests positive for a Stimulant will be subject to thediscipline set forth below. For purposes of this Section 7.B, a priorviolation of Section 7.E, 7.F, and /or 7.G.2 involving a Stimulant that results in at least a 25-game suspension shall be deemed a prior violation of Section 7.B in determining whether the positive testconstitutes the Player’s first, second, third or fourth violation of Section7.B.1.

First violation: Follow-up testing pursuant to Section 3.D.2above;

2.Second violation: 50-game suspension;

3.Third violation: 100-game suspension; and

4.Fourth and subsequent violation: Suspension for just cause by the Commissioner, up to permanent suspension from Major League and Minor League Baseball, which penalty shall be subject tochallenge before the Arbitration Panel. A Player who is permanently suspended pursuant to this Section 7.B.4 shall have the same right to seek reinstatement, and challenge any denial of such a request, as aPlayer who is permanently suspended pursuant to Section 7.A.3 above.Notwithstanding anything to the contrary elsewhere in the Program,any Player who is permanently suspended pursuant to this Section7.B.4 is prohibited from attending Spring Training or entering Club facilities during his permanent suspension

It is at the Commissioner's discretion.

Archived