Maybe we are better than we think.

tntoriole

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d like to see as few losses as possible, but that’s not how I’ll judge the season.    I’ll judge it on how our players are developing and what we are able to do to increase the talent base.    I can forsee scenarios where we lose 100+ but I feel like good progress was made, and also scenarios where we lose fewer than 100 but I feel we had many disappointments on the developmental side and I’m dissatisfied.   I’m hoping to see a lot more guys stepping forward than stepping backwards.   

I agree about development as the key for me watching this season.  I also hope our  trade chips have better than expected seasons to help their return value. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yea, the Orioles have 20 guys with an ETA of this year or next because the only thing standing in between them and 550 PAs in Baltimore is Joey Rickard.  Or the continued good health and performance of Mark Trumbo.  Or Richard Bleier getting healthy and continuing to pitch well despite no strikeouts at all.

If you look like you might kind of be a major league player, come on up, you're in the lineup.

Is that why the Cardinals have 21 guys with ETAs in 2020 or 2021?  Because they are in a deep rebuild and have only terrible players just waiting for another terrible player to take their place?  I think these rankings are not just completely due to the teams being bad at the big league level, but that they also reflect the assessment by the writers of the talent level in the high minors. 

4 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Is that why the Cardinals have 21 guys with ETAs in 2020 or 2021?  Because they are in a deep rebuild and have only terrible players just waiting for another terrible player to take their place?  I think these rankings are not just completely due to the teams being bad at the big league level, but that they also reflect the assessment by the writers of the talent level in the high minors. 

We may have a bunch of guys with ETAs close, but 90% of the pitchers are projected as relievers. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We may have a bunch of guys with ETAs close, but 90% of the pitchers are projected as relievers. 

New strategy: We have a surplus of talented bullpen prospects. Take the next two years to give them at least half a season each in the majors. Trade the productive ones with flashy FBs and breaking stuff. 

Edit: Or expand upon the Rays opener strategy. Maybe do 3 inning clips for each reliever on a rotational basis. Guys pitch every 3 days. 

4 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

New strategy: We have a surplus of talented bullpen prospects. Take the next two years to give them at least half a season each in the majors. Trade the productive ones with flashy FBs and breaking stuff. 

Edit: Or expand upon the Rays opener strategy. Maybe do 3 inning clips for each reliever on a rotational basis. Guys pitch every 3 days. 

With all the guys we have who probably be best suited in the bullpen I am surprised there isn't more talk about using openers. 

Archived