O's players on the bubble get fewer and fewer

wildcard

At the beginning for spring training I listed the players I thought might be DFA'd off the 40 man roster.  These are players I call on the bubble.   Let's see how they look now.

Mike Wright -  Is doing well this spring and I really can't see the O's DFAing him before opening day unless he goes south fast.  He is out of options and whether its in the rotation or in the pen he looks like he will stay.

Donnie Hart -  Already DFA'd and his spot was taken.

Josh Osich - To hear Brandon Hyde tell it this guy has something to offer.   Mid 90s fastball  for a lefty reliever. Elias likes strikeout guys.   I just don't see Elias/Hyde risking putting him through waivers and possibly losing  him.

Pedro Araujo - Is showing a strong arm that will benefit the organization depth.  17 days in the majors and he can be sent to Bowie.  I think they hang on to him.

Renato Nunez -  Clearly has some throwing issues at third base.   But now Hyde is trying him at first base.  And with Davis still having offensive problems and Trumbo's iffy coming back from knee surgery, its Nunez bat that probably keeps him on the roster.  

Evan Phillips -  Was good at AAA but not in the majors last season.   This spring he has pitched 4 innings and struck out  three.   He has options and probably begins the season at AAA again.

Hanser Alberto -  This is a guy we just don't know yet.   DFA'd 4 times this off season.  Every time he gets claimed.  Right now I think he is the most vulnerable guy on the  40 man roster.  I wonder how he will look in at week or two from now.

The O's may need roster spots for a catcher and maybe Escobar if they decide to keep him.  I will say I have not been impressed with Escobar's arm.   And his defense should be a big part of his appeal.

It is thought that Elias may pickup someone(s) from waiver wire.  I am not saying that will not happen.  But when someone is added, someone has to go.   It appears to me that the talent bar has gotten a little higher since spring training began.  JMO

What do you think?  Who is vulnerable to being DFA'd?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked Núñez coming into ST but it seems his defense is severely lacking. Even if Davis sucks again this year he will likely be at first most days. When he isn’t then Mancini probably should be. Núñez is looking at DH. I think I’d prefer to see him there than Trumbo but it’ll be Trumbo. I think Núñez is gone and I’d bet Alberto is off as well. I’m thinking Jackson is sent back too.

It's certainly getting tougher.

Someone will need to be DFA'd if Sucre makes the team. Hanser seems like he'll be vulnerable with the hope that he finally sneaks through this time. I could see Wilkerson getting DFA'd with the new regime have no allegiance there. Especially with two Rule 5's outplaying him thus far. Santander and Rickard seem I guess somewhat vulnerable? Perhaps Ruiz. 

I'm less bullish on Araujo, actually. I see a scenario where he gets cut despite the easy 17-day stash. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I would rank it, in order of most vulnerable:

1. Hanser Alberto

2. Stevie Wilkerson

3. Rio Ruiz

4. Anthony Santander

5. Pedro Araujo

6. Joey Rickard

Wow, this list is pretty....Awful.

Wilkerson has options and plays every position. He will get work in Norfolk. Ruiz has been the far superior 3rd baseman between him and Nunez, while also hitting pretty well. Santander is hitting extremely well and hasn't shown to be a defensive liability. Araujo is showing he is recovered from the forearm strain from last year and is pitching well. Rickard has been hitting and, at worst, works as Mullins platoon partner.

I didn't write about Alberto because the poor guy probably just has a storage locker in Louisiana, since he keeps bouncing between Arizona and Florida.

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Wow, this list is pretty....Awful.

Wilkerson has options and plays every position. He will get work in Norfolk. Ruiz has been the far superior 3rd baseman between him and Nunez, while also hitting pretty well. Santander is hitting extremely well and hasn't shown to be a defensive liability. Araujo is showing he is recovered from the forearm strain from last year and is pitching well. Rickard has been hitting and, at worst, works as Mullins platoon partner.

I didn't write about Alberto because the poor guy probably just has a storage locker in Louisiana, since he keeps bouncing between Arizona and Florida.

All fair points. So who do you think is on the cusp of DFA?

30 minutes ago, oriole said:

I liked Núñez coming into ST but it seems his defense is severely lacking. Even if Davis sucks again this year he will likely be at first most days. When he isn’t then Mancini probably should be. Núñez is looking at DH. I think I’d prefer to see him there than Trumbo but it’ll be Trumbo. I think Núñez is gone and I’d bet Alberto is off as well. I’m thinking Jackson is sent back too.

Jackson looks pretty solid to make the team for opening day IMO.   Things could change over the next two weeks but I am pretty high on him right now.

Rickard stays. He’s cheap, proven, and versatile. He may not last the season, but he stays.

it makes most sense that the most recently added guys are the most vulnerable.

Escobar Had a really severe defensive downgrade in the last couple of years, and has never hit well, except for that brief period in 2014(which we all remember with rage.) There is no reason at all to keep him. So I think he’s the most likely to go, but he’s not gonna go yet.

It is honestly not impossible that Davis might be let go. He has looked terrible. There is not one single redeeming thing about his approach at the plate. There’s nothing that offers hope or encouragement. The money is already spent, and Brandon and Mike don’t care about him as anything but a rivet in the plating, so I could see them dumping him. 

Wright  looks so good so far that I want to see him throw a lot more against proven big leaguers, but good heavens, I think he might have turned a corner. 

defense is important so Núñez Gets the ax at third base. I can’t really make any predictions about anyone else. But that could be good. Maybe everybody is equally good as opposed to being equally terrible?

Just now, Philip said:

Rickard stays. He’s cheap, proven, and versatile. He may not last the season, but he stays.

it makes most sense that the most recently added guys are the most vulnerable.

Escobar Had a really severe defensive downgrade in the last couple of years, and has never hit well, except for that brief period in 2014(which we all remember with rage.) There is no reason at all to keep him. So I think he’s the most likely to go, but he’s not gonna go yet.

It is honestly not impossible that Davis might be let go. He has looked terrible. There is not one single redeeming thing about his approach at the plate. There’s nothing that offers hope or encouragement. The money is already spent, and Brandon and Mike don’t care about him as anything but a rivet in the plating, so I could see them dumping him. 

Wright  looks so good so far that I want to see him throw a lot more against proven big leaguers, but good heavens, I think he might have turned a corner. 

defense is important so Núñez Gets the ax at third base. I can’t really make any predictions about anyone else. But that could be good. Maybe everybody is equally good as opposed to being equally terrible?

Escobar is not on the 40-man. He can be sent to the minors or opt out perhaps, I'm not sure. 

Nunez is too good of a hitter to be DFAd just yet. I think they could look to trade him if possible, though, either during ST or during the season if he puts up some numbers. Ruiz I like but I'm wary of his ability to actually hang at the MLB level. 

1 minute ago, Philip said:

All right, thank you. Either way, I don’t think he makes the team at all.

Agree!

Also agree Rickard stays. He's the kind of dependable dude you keep around in a rebuilding year and maybe trade if he happens to have a decent season. At the very least he should inflate his steal totals this year.

Archived