O's players on the bubble get fewer and fewer

wildcard

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Nunez is too good of a hitter to be DFAd just yet. I think they could look to trade him if possible, though, either during ST or during the season if he puts up some numbers. Ruiz I like but I'm wary of his ability to actually hang at the MLB level. 

I appreciate your optimism, but who in the world wants a reject from the worst team in baseball?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Philip said:

I appreciate your optimism, but who in the world wants a reject from the worst team in baseball?

Well if he's a decent player, as Nunez is, and the team has a hole at 3B or 1B or DH, then that team would. I don't know why he would be considered a reject. Teams take chances on players all the time on waiver claims and rule 5 drafts, etc. It just  depends on what your roster makeup is looking like. 

26 minutes ago, interloper said:

I would rank it, in order of most vulnerable:

1. Hanser Alberto

2. Stevie Wilkerson

3. Rio Ruiz

4. Anthony Santander

5. Pedro Araujo

6. Joey Rickard

Wait, you believe the Orioles would DFA Ruiz or Santander before Wright who has like a 1.45 WHIP this spring and has awful analytics on his pitches and who has been poor every year he's been in the big leagues?

Ruiz and Santander are going nowhere. I believe they both still have options as well, but they both are looking like they want spots on the 25-man. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Well if he's a decent player, as Nunez is, and the team has a hole at 3B or 1B or DH, then that team would. I don't know why he would be considered a reject. Teams take chances on players all the time on waiver claims and rule 5 drafts, etc. It just  depends on what your roster makeup is looking like. 

Yes, I agree, and I was engaging in just a little bit of hyperbole, but when all 30 teams start making their cuts, I think there’s going to be a whole lot of players available who are better than the guys we are cutting loose.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Wait, you believe the Orioles would DFA Ruiz or Santander before Wright who has like a 1.45 WHIP this spring and has awful analytics on his pitches and who has been poor every year he's been in the big leagues?

Ruiz and Santander are going nowhere. I believe they both still have options as well, but they both are looking like they want spots on the 25-man. 

Tony are you saying that the success we have seen from Wright  is a mirage?

If so, that will be a big disappointment. I have been clamoring for his release for almost as long as he’s been pitching, but I thought there was a reason to be encouraged this spring.

1. Hanser
2. Wilkerson
3. Wright
4. Phillips
5. Osich are the five guys on the DFA bubble in my opinion.

Sucre, Young and Escobar in that order are the guys who have the most chance of being added to the 40-man. 

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Tony are you saying that the success we have seen from Wright  is a mirage?

If so, that will be a big disappointment. I have been clamoring for his release for almost as long as he’s been pitching, but I thought there was a reason to be encouraged this spring.

Why? I've heard of no change in stuff, and he's pitched well in the spring before. He's still allowing a bunch of base runners and has had some good luck to keep his ERA clean. He is who he is at this point.

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

All fair points. So who do you think is on the cusp of DFA?

Position players: Nunez could be a casualty. The bat is great, but the defense has been awful. With the way Ruiz and Jackson are playing, both can cover 3rd a lot better. You lose the power bat, but both are putting the ball in play, which is still good. He has been getting reps at 1st, but so has everyone.

I do agree with you on Alberto, only because he seems like the poor "last on, first off" guy on the 40. But I think he would be the "day before Opening Day" DFA, as they probably want to get as much of a look as possible.

Pitchers: Luis Ortiz, to me, is in danger. Even coming in to camp in better shape, he is getting drilled. He doesn't seem to be getting better as Spring Training goes on, like other pitchers are. I know he would be a shock, but did anyone expect them to DFA Hart?

Osich could also be on the bubble. Elias a d Hyde did talk positive about him, but it isn't like they would say "we picked this guy up because no one else wanted him. If he works, great. If not, oh well." He could be DFA'ed in hopes of either a trade or slipping to Norfolk.

Cody Carroll and Evan Phillips could also be sent out on DFA, as they haven't been used except to face minor leaguers. I don't see them really being DFA'ed unless it was an extreme situation, but I think they are the most vulnerable players at any position once you get past the other 4 I mentioned.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Why? I've heard of no change in stuff, and he's pitched well in the spring before. He's still allowing a bunch of base runners and has had some good luck to keep his ERA clean. He is who he is at this point.

All right, I guess I’ll get out the pitchfork and torch again...

17 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Position players: Nunez could be a casualty. The bat is great, but the defense has been awful. With the way Ruiz and Jackson are playing, both can cover 3rd a lot better. You lose the power bat, but both are putting the ball in play, which is still good. He has been getting reps at 1st, but so has everyone.

I do agree with you on Alberto, only because he seems like the poor "last on, first off" guy on the 40. But I think he would be the "day before Opening Day" DFA, as they probably want to get as much of a look as possible.

Pitchers: Luis Ortiz, to me, is in danger. Even coming in to camp in better shape, he is getting drilled. He doesn't seem to be getting better as Spring Training goes on, like other pitchers are. I know he would be a shock, but did anyone expect them to DFA Hart?

Osich could also be on the bubble. Elias a d Hyde did talk positive about him, but it isn't like they would say "we picked this guy up because no one else wanted him. If he works, great. If not, oh well." He could be DFA'ed in hopes of either a trade or slipping to Norfolk.

Cody Carroll and Evan Phillips could also be sent out on DFA, as they haven't been used except to face minor leaguers. I don't see them really being DFA'ed unless it was an extreme situation, but I think they are the most vulnerable players at any position once you get past the other 4 I mentioned.

It’s very sad to point out that you mention three guys we got in trades last summer, including a headliner. There’s no emotional connection to any of them, it’s just that getting rid of them would reinforce that Dan was an idiot. If I were GM, one rule I would set myself is to never except in trade a former top draft pick Who has already been traded twice, because it almost certainly means that his teams have given up on him.

19 minutes ago, Philip said:

Talent is unequally distributed in baseball.  For example, the 2018 O's got more production out of Caleb Joseph than the Red Sox got out of any catcher.  Literally, Red Sox catchers collectively OPS'd .533 last year, and every one of them was below replacement. 

Every Oriole, even potentially surplus Orioles, aren't necessarily worse than every other team's everything.

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

No, fair point. I'm just a guy spitting out some opinions here. Wright is the only pitcher so far to mention analytics helping a bit. His first start I agree looked like typical Wright and he got lucky. His last one though, he had the slider and 4seamer working a little better. I am no Wright believer, but there's certainly room for him in the bullpen at least if they wanna take an extended look. Also, Hyde has really talked him up. 

We'll see. 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

No, fair point. I'm just a guy spitting out some opinions here. Wright is the only pitcher so far to mention analytics helping a bit. His first start I agree looked like typical Wright and he got lucky. His last one though, he had the slider and 4seamer working a little better. I am no Wright believer, but there's certainly room for him in the bullpen at least if they wanna take an extended look. Also, Hyde has really talked him up. 

We'll see. 

And ME has said that using an opener pitcher is at least a possibility. Then I imagine a couple long guys after him, not true starters. Wright would certainly fit in that scenario. Not likely I think but possible. We don't really have 5 starters yet.

24 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I definitely did, yes. He's been bad against righties and lefties and has bad stuff. We have much better left-handers for that job than we did when Hart was doing his thing. 

Archived