Where I think the O's roster is right now

wildcard

1 minute ago, Natty said:

Nunez had one of the best BA on the team last year. I wouldn't count him out yet. 

But will he be the starter at 3B considering one of Elias goals is to put a better defensive infield together?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But will he be the starter at 3B considering one of Elias goals is to put a better defensive infield together?

That's the question. But Nunez batted  .275/.336/.445 with us last year with 200 AB. What if he improves?

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

This all could change but here is a snapshot as of today races

1B: Mancini has the lead over Davis with Nunez also able to play there.  Davis will see time at first but is looking like a bench player.

2B  Villar backed up by Jackson

SS: Martin backed up by Jackson

3B:  Ruiz platooned with Jackson

Catcher: Sisco backed up by one of  Perez, Wynns, Susac or Sucre

LF: Stewart.  Mancini plays here when not playing 1B.

CF: Hays is leading Mullins

RF: Rickard     

OF backups are Mancini and Jackson

DH:  Trumbo if healthy.  If not Nunez or Santander

That leaves one position player spot open for Nunez, Escobar, Mullins, Young or Santander

Starter:  Cobb, Bundy Cashner  with Hess, Wright, Rogers, Ramirez, Means and Yacabonis fighting for the 4th and 5th spots

Relievers:  Givens, Bleier, Castro, Fry, Kline, Araujo, and a long reliever from the starter competition.    Karns and Scott prime contenders to replace Araujo after 17 days.  Scotts control problems are why I put Kline ahead of him.

Just my take.   What do you see?

Lots of respectful disagreement.

sisco has bad defense. Another poster insisted that it is below average and not bad, but I think it’s really bad. He’ll probably make the team but I’d prefer Wynns and a defense-first backup.

1B/DH Mancini/Trumbo/Davis 3-way platoon, with Davis only seeing ABs against lefties, and only until he’s jettisoned.

infield

Villar, Martin, Ruiz with Jackson backup. No argument there.

Stewart, Mullins, Santander with Rickard as backup/Platoon partner and Jackson as backup No way should Mancini see the OF.

pitching it’s too early to say who does have a chance but easier to say who doesn’t. Ortiz doesn’t. Not sure who else has really not been good.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

sisco has bad defense. Another poster insisted that it is below average and not bad, but I think it’s really bad. He’ll probably make the team but I’d prefer Wynns and a defense-first backup.

1B/DH Mancini/Trumbo/Davis 3-way platoon, with Davis only seeing ABs against lefties, and only until he’s jettisoned.

infield

Stewart, Mullins, Santander with Rickard as backup/Platoon partner and Jackson as backup No way should Mancini see the OF.

pitching it’s too early to say who does have a chance but easier to say who doesn’t. Ortiz doesn’t. Not sure who else has really not been good.

Isn't Perez a good defensive catcher and has hit in the minors but just not the majors? I would give him a shot but agree with defense first.

Please just get rid of Davis. Ask him to accept a minor league assignment or extended ST.

Martin might be our best Rule 5 pick and to think with no Buck and DD:)

I wouldn't be shocked he has some offers out to SP's for a minor league contract as well.

Hays over Mullins in CF? Let Mullins start and play his way off the team IMO. Better than Hays defensively and that should be top priority. 

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

infield

I don't see why Rickard in RF. I'd rather see one of the younger guys get that spot. 

33 minutes ago, Philip said:

infield

Trumbo with that knee is probably not going to play the field.   Davis has had trouble hitting lefties for several years now.  When he plays its probably against right handed pitching.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Trumbo with that knee is probably not going to play the field.   Davis has had trouble hitting lefties for several years now.  When he plays its probably against right handed pitching.

Is that what we call what Davis does?

If Hays makes team he will not be starting CF, what would that say about Mullins moving forward? That they have already given up on him? Mullins value is playing CF. 

Assuming a 4 man bench I think it comes down to Ruiz, Nunez and Escobar. 2 of 3 make team. At this point Martin is a lock and will be playing a ton of SS. I think they keep Jackson as well. 

I think we could see Mancini playing 1B vs LHP but he will be mainly LF. Mullins, Stewart and Rickard are rest of OF. Unless there is an injury I don’t see a fit this second with Hays. 

Catcher is real hard to call. At this point Sisco and Wynns. 

Trumbo of course plays into this as well. If he can’t go that will buy time for someone else. 

As far as 4th and 5th starter spots at this point I see Hess for sure. If Karns falls to bullpen that may mean at start of year Wright is number 5 starter.  

Givens, Bleier, Castro, Fry, Scott and Araujo make up rest of pen. 

Curious if they will be as cute as previous regime. They do not need a 5th starter until Game 6. In theory they could send down someone like Hess and keep someone else up for first 5 games. 

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Webster’s dictionary defines “Chris Davis” as the  act of striking out, often while looking but sleeps on a bed made from $100,000 bills.

Corrected that for you:)

Btw-there were actually 100,000 bills printed, crazy but true!

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Curious if they will be as cute as previous regime. They do not need a 5th starter until Game 6. In theory they could send down someone like Hess and keep someone else up for first 5 games. 

On a related note, I hope in the new baseball contract they expand the current roster from 25. Everyone should be in favor of that. Long overdue IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

On a related note, I hope in the new baseball contract they expand the current roster from 25. Everyone should be in favor of that. Long overdue IMO. 

I agree. Talk is 13 man pitching staff limits. If you can get by with 12 that leaves a 5 man bench. All for that.  

Archived