Where I think the O's roster is right now

wildcard

10 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

On a related note, I hope in the new baseball contract they expand the current roster from 25. Everyone should be in favor of that. Long overdue IMO. 

Agreed 26 or 27 roster spots. Pitching is so specialized now you can hardly have any depth on the positional chart.

Which forces you to carry a jack of all trades type like Ryan Flaherty. OK, maybe he lasted so long because he was a ‘Buck’ guy.  

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not?

OD roster:

1.  Mullins S CF

2.  Villar S 2B

3.  Diaz R RF

4.  Mancini R 1B

5. Santander S DH

6. Hays R LF

7. Sisco L C

8. Martin R SS

9. Ruiz L 3B

Wynns, Rickard, Jackson, Nunez

DL: Davis, Trumbo, Bleier

Cobb, Bundy, Cashner, Karns, Hess

Givens, Kline, Scott, Castro, Fry, Wright, Yacabonis 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why not?

OD roster:

1.  Mullins S CF

2.  Villar S 2B

3.  Diaz R RF

4.  Mancini R 1B

5. Santander S DH

6. Hays R LF

7. Sisco L C

8. Martin R SS

9. Ruiz L 3B

Wynns, Rickard, Jackson, Nunez

DL: Davis, Trumbo, Bleier

Cobb, Bundy, Cashner, Karns, Hess

Givens, Kline, Scott, Castro, Fry, Wright, Yacabonis 

There is NO way Elias starts Diaz's clock. He probably deserves it, but zero chance.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Fun game to play, but it’s way too early to make these judgments.   One thing I’ve noticed is that the O’s are giving Diaz a very hard look.   He leads the team in at bats and is starting again today.    It doesn’t seem likely he’ll make the team, but he may not be down very long, either.    

I think Diaz will be sent out soon in the next cuts. They wanted to give him real good look for major league coaching staff. 

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

This all could change but here is a snapshot as of today races

1B: Mancini has the lead over Davis with Nunez also able to play there.  Davis will see time at first but is looking like a bench player.

2B  Villar backed up by Jackson

SS: Martin backed up by Jackson

3B:  Ruiz platooned with Jackson

Catcher: Sisco backed up by one of  Perez, Wynns, Susac or Sucre

LF: Stewart.  Mancini plays here when not playing 1B.

CF: Hays is leading Mullins

RF: Rickard     

OF backups are Mancini and Jackson

DH:  Trumbo if healthy.  If not Nunez or Santander

That leaves one position player spot open for Nunez, Escobar, Mullins, Young or Santander

Starter:  Cobb, Bundy Cashner  with Hess, Wright, Rogers, Ramirez, Means and Yacabonis fighting for the 4th and 5th spots

Relievers:  Givens, Bleier, Castro, Fry, Kline, Araujo, and a long reliever from the starter competition.    Karns and Scott prime contenders to replace Araujo after 17 days.  Scotts control problems are why I put Kline ahead of him.

Just my take.   What do you see?

Funny, but I see several roster spots as totally different

1B-I think it's Davis just to start the season to see if they can recoup any value for his contract. I believe he will be given several months to try. I don't see Mancini there at all.

3B-I think it's Nunez with Ruiz fighting for a spot

LF-Mancini. It's his job to lose

CF-Mullins. The same as above

I'm not saying this is the best or what I want, just what I'm predicting.

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Funny, but I see several roster spots as totally different

1B-I think it's Davis just to start the season to see if they can recoup any value for his contract. I believe he will be given several months to try. I don't see Mancini there at all.

3B-I think it's Nunez with Ruiz fighting for a spot

LF-Mancini. It's his job to lose

CF-Mullins. The same as above

I'm not saying this is the best or what I want, just what I'm predicting.

And you could be right.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I would be surprised if Hays makes the team and shocked and somewhat disappointed if he is the starting CF. I was really hoping for a defensive upgrade in CF. If not Mullins, what about McKenna?

Hays is a defensive upgrade to Jones or Rickard. McKenna isn’t ready yet. That said I think you gotta give Mullins at least a half season this year to cement or lose the CF job.

My 25, off the top of my head, probably missed someone

C: Sisco

1B:  Mancini

2B: Villar 

SS: Martin

3B: Nunez

LF: Stewart 

CF: Mullins

RF: Santander 

DH: Davis (if DL then Santander and Hays in RF, otherwise)

Bench: Sucre, Rickard, Jackson, Ruiz (or Alberto)

Trumbo on DL.

SP: Cobb, Bundy, Cashner, Means, Ramirez

Bullpen: Karns, Yacabonis, Hess, Scott, Givens, Fry, Ynoa (DFA Wright)

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Hays is a defensive upgrade to Jones or Rickard. McKenna isn’t ready yet. That said I think you gotta give Mullins at least a half season this year to cement or lose the CF job.

My 25, off the top of my head, probably missed someone

C: Sisco

1B:  Mancini

2B: Villar 

SS: Martin

3B: Nunez

LF: Stewart 

CF: Mullins

RF: Santander 

DH: Davis (if DL then Santander and Hays in RF, otherwise)

Bench: Sucre, Rickard, Jackson, Ruiz (or Alberto)

Trumbo on DL.

SP: Cobb, Bundy, Cashner, Means, Ramirez

Bullpen: Karns, Yacabonis, Hess, Scott, Givens, Fry, Ynoa (DFA Wright)

Good list except for Ynoa.  He is not on the roster and has to climb over a lot of pitchers. . Are you returning Araujo to the Cubs?  You think Bleier will be on the DL?  I think Kline out pitches Scott but that is JMO.

39 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Good list except for Ynoa.  He is not on the roster and has to climb over a lot of pitchers. . Are you returning Araujo to the Cubs?  You think Bleier will be on the DL?  I think Kline out pitches Scott but that is JMO.

Kline could very well make the team, Ynoa could get stretched in AAA, I like that he can provide multiple innings. Araujo can be returned. Bleier starts on DL until he proves otherwise.

8 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Escobar is coming off a year where he OPS'd .593 and had a -14 glove.  And that's not way out of line with his last half decade of work.  He should be in camp in case none of the other options look anything like major league players.  If they look passable he gets some nice parting gifts and maybe an invite for a summer in Norfolk.

Agreed. i think the play of Martin and Jackson have made Escobar irrelevant. Escobar no longer has a major league SS arm. I like Reinheimer and even Jace Peterson over Escobar.

Just a few 40 man roster thoughts

What is the way early list of guys that will need to be protected next year? 

Is Arajuo really worth keeping?  Not just the 17 days on the big club, but just on the 40 man in general?  We’re in a much different position than we were from OD 2018. We have a slew of options that we’ve either acquired or just our own guys have moved to the upper minors. Would Arajuo rank above any of our AAA/AA “prospects”  if he still had prospect status?

What’s the deal with the 60 man DL and ST now?  I thought you couldn’t put guys on there until OD, but now I’m seeing it. Why not use this for Trumbo and Bleier?  It would give us some 40 man wiggle room. 

The young guys are performing so well early on that it’s looking like we won’t be forced to keep EY JR, Escobar, or two C not on the 40 man. That saves us a potential 3-4 players on the bottom of the 40 man that we’d have to DFA to add them. So good job young guys. 

I see the bottom of the 40 man as such,

40.  Hanser Alberto IF (No options)

39.  Osich LHP (No options)

38. Steve Wilkerson (Victim of the depth added)

37. Pedro Arajuo (Rule 5 for 17 days)

36. Evan Phillips (Struggled last year, and it’s been a quiet ST for him).

Archived