TT: Opening Day roster starting to take shape, but questions remain

Tony-OH

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jackson, 25, has played in more games (15) and been given more PAs (31) then anyone in camp, and has played SS (7), 2B (4) and CF (4). He’s slashed .393/.419/.429/.848 so far this spring and has been solid at all three positions, though he looks best at 2B. Although Jackson has the versatility and athleticism to be a solid utility guy in the major leagues, there is some upside as a potential starting second baseman in the future. There seems to be little doubt he will make the club.

A poor man's Zobrist?

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I like it. Similar to what I was thinking. I’d like to see Scott start getting some results. Agree with you on Arajuo. I think Jackson is really underrated because he came from a stacked system that was so good he was forced to play all over the diamond even in the minors. I think Smith has a chance to beat out Santander.  Overall, it’s pretty close to what I see.

DFA: 

Alberto for Escobar

Arajuo for Sucre

Wilkerson is in real danger of DFA. Especially if a better player is let go when other teams set their rosters.  

Man, this roster is really hamstrung with Trumbo and Davis.

I understand if they want to play the roster clock game with Hays and Diaz.  Honestly, I'm really only looking forward to seeing the Orioles play when those guys are called up.  I think Hays deserves the OD start in CF though, Mullins has lost his grip.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I understand if they want to play the roster clock game with Hays and Diaz.  Honestly, I'm really only looking forward to seeing the Orioles play when those guys are called up.  I think Hays deserves the OD start in CF though, Mullins has lost his grip.

Based on what?  30 or so ST PAs?

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Trumbo and Davis wouldn’t be on any other MLB roster. 

Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

His MLB OPS was nearly identical to that of Hays last season in MiLB (A and AA).

Hays had a bunch of injuries last year.  

I like Mullins, but I don't believe for a second he's much more than a 4th outfielder or the lefty part of a platoon.  

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hays had a bunch of injuries last year.  

I like Mullins, but I don't believe for a second he's much more than a 4th outfielder or the lefty part of a platoon.  

I get that, I just think the absolute torching of Mullins over ~150 PA in his first taste of the bigs is a bit much for my taste.  Conversely, the suggestion that it would be some sort of travesty for Hays to not start with the big club seems silly as well, in my very humble opinion.

Archived