TT: Opening Day roster starting to take shape, but questions remain

Tony-OH

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Philip said:

If the goal is to maximize defense than Santander has a better arm. Though I don’t know anything about his range, speed, or routes.

That said, I’m glad that defense is seriously being considered.

I was not impressed by Satander’s fielding from the little I saw of him last season.

57 minutes ago, Philip said:

If the goal is to maximize defense than Santander has a better arm. Though I don’t know anything about his range, speed, or routes.

That said, I’m glad that defense is seriously being considered.

Did you not watch the team last April/May?  He received a good bit of playing time. 

I'd say his speed is about average for a RF as well as his throwing arm.  The arm would be above average in left.  I recall him taking some bad routes.  Seemed to better coming in than going back. 

I think he can be average out there.  The bat has to impactful. 

Edit:  Just looked at his Statcast #'s for Sprint Speed and he's solidly average compared to the league as a whole, which is a little below average for RF.  He had better foot speed than Adam Jones last year according to Statcast.   

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Did you not watch the team last April/May?  He received a good bit of playing time. 

I'd say his speed is about average for a RF as well as his throwing arm.  The arm would be above average in left.  I recall him taking some bad routes.  Seemed to better coming in than going back. 

I think he can be average out there.  The bat has to impactful. 

Edit:  Just looked at his Statcast #'s for Sprint Speed and he's solidly average compared to the league as a whole, which is a little below average for RF.  He had better foot speed than Adam Jones last year according to Statcast.   

I always listen on the radio. I was quoting Tony regarding the arm strength and admitted I didn’t know anything else about his defense.

I’m glad that it seemed like all of th young OF have hit this ST so far. They were told it was an open competition and nobody cracked. 

I expect to see Smith Jr start to get some ABs. Rickard and Mancini are on the team. So were looking at Hays, Mullins, Santander, Smith, and EY, fighting for 2 OD OF spots. If Davis and/or Trumbo is on the DL for OD, then that opens up spots. 

Overall, I don’t think we could be more happy with what the position players have showed so far this ST. The pitching on the other hand....

13 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

How does a team talk defense and then play Mancini in LF and Nunez at 3B? Here's hoping Trumbo spends the season on the IL and Davis is released. Then Mancini and Nunez could share 1B/DH.

I don't think Nunez is a lock to start at 3rd. Ruiz is having a very nice spring

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

How does a team talk defense and then play Mancini in LF and Nunez at 3B? Here's hoping Trumbo spends the season on the IL and Davis is released. Then Mancini and Nunez could share 1B/DH.

Well if you looks at my projected lineup, I have Ruiz at 3rd and Nunez at DH if Trumbo starts year on injured list. If the Orioles can find a way to get Davis off the team (eat the contract which is doubtful or find a way to get him on the injured list) then Mancini can move to DH or 1B which would then open a slot for Hays, Rickard, or Young in LF whcih would all be defensive upgrades. 

I was happy to hear Mancini will start playing first base again this spring. He really needs to be at 1B or DH.

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well if you looks at my projected lineup, I have Ruiz at 3rd and Nunez at DH if Trumbo starts year on injured list. If the Orioles can find a way to get Davis off the team (eat the contract which is doubtful or find a way to get him on the injured list) then Mancini can move to DH or 1B which would then open a slot for Hays, Rickard, or Young in LF whcih would all be defensive upgrades. 

I was happy to hear Mancini will start playing first base again this spring. He really needs to be at 1B or DH.

I don't see Young making the team for opening day because he is non rostered.   The O's already have to probably add non rostered Sucre and Escobar.    Making it three may be more then they want to go.    Hays, Rickard, Santander, Mancini and Jackson all able to play the outfield probably sends Young to the minors to begin the season.

Waiting until the last day of ST and then DFAing Alberto and Smith seems possible because they probably go unclaimed.   Returning Arraujo over 17days does not seem like something a building team will want to do.

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Only one way to find out. 

I tend to think that Mullins is going to get a shot regardless, but there's more ways to find out whether he can play in the majors than throwing him out there regardless of our evaluation of him. This isn't Ken Griffey Jr. we're talking about here.

Archived