Will Araujo Make The Team?

Rene88

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think I Elias was a great hire.

i just don't like blind allegiance.

Elias gets full deference for now.    It’s not blind allegiance, it’s giving him the opportunity to demonstrate his evaluative chops. Once he screws up a few times he won’t get that deference.

4 hours ago, Rene88 said:

He only needs 17 days but is he really worthy of a spot on the 40 man? He has had an awful spring (ERA over 10+)

What say you?

I got to think his spot is dependent on what is on the waiver wire...

I think there are several people whose spot is indeed dependent on the waiver wire finds, but I don’t think Araujo is one of them. He is analogous to a guy Acquired for cash considerations, and it only 17 days, they get him for free.

Dan has had inconsistent results from the rule five draft, and it’s possible that current leadership doesn’t think much of this guy, but I think they’ll probably keep him.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Elias gets full deference for now.    It’s not blind allegiance, it’s giving him the opportunity to demonstrate his evaluative chops. Once he screws up a few times he won’t get that deference.

And he will screw up.  He has been known to swing for the fences, but I'll support his rebuild until the end of the third season. 

6 hours ago, Philip said:

I think there are several people whose spot is indeed dependent on the waiver wire finds, but I don’t think Araujo is one of them. He is analogous to a guy Acquired for cash considerations, and it only 17 days, they get him for free.

Dan has had inconsistent results from the rule five draft, and it’s possible that current leadership doesn’t think much of this guy, but I think they’ll probably keep him.

Gotta get over this way of thinking... 17 days and the whole idea of “scheming to keep a player”. 

The player is not good. Is 26. Has never had success above A ball. Was drafted in the third round of the Rule 5.  How many players have ever been drafted in the third round of the Rule 5 draft???? He was a “Buck Flier”. He didn’t work out. He was acquired before the selloff and before our own guys needed to be added to the 40 man. 

It’s hard to come out of the bullpen with a changeup being your best pitch. What if the Hitters don’t chase?  Then he’s out there with a below average FB. 

Bottomline... dude was acquired when it made “sense”. Now we have better reliever options that belong on the 40 man over him. Not to mention position players and potential waiver claims. 

I’ll break down the bottom of the 40 man and the likely scenario for OD,

40. Hanser Alberto - He either makes the team, or Escobar is added as a direct replacement. Alberto is out of options. 

39. We have to add a C. Either Sucre or Perez. Who goes?  Arajuo or Wilkerson. Wilkerson is only 1 year older than Arajuo and provides depth in the IF that we are relatively thin at. Arajuo wouldn’t even make AAA’s bullpen. He’d be 26 and in AA. With a below average FB. 

38. What if we really love EY Jr or some great waiver wire opportunity? Then bye bye to both Wilkerson and Arajuo. 

9 hours ago, weams said:

And he will screw up.  He has been known to swing for the fences, but I'll support his rebuild until the end of the third season. 

The "record" has been noted for future disparagement, if applicable.

But back to Petey Araujo, if Elias cuts him and Pedro becomes the second coming of Trevor Hoffman in a few years, we can add this to the list of Elias "shortcomings" and why we now hate his hire.  Win win!  ⚾

I have been an advocate of Araujo making the roster and then going down after the 17 days. But I can't say he impresses me right now. Honestly, he looks injured to me. He's not the same guy I saw last spring. Since early May 2018, he's been damaged goods. His velo is down, and his body language tells me something is wrong there. Maybe he's just pressing, trying to make the team, but he's not right.

He had flashed a plus slider to go with the plus split. Those, with a mid 90's FB he used to have, would make him viable if he can be healthy and consistent in his mechanics.

He has not looked good, but he will not be 26 until July. If you think he's a dude in the back end in two years, I think you have to keep him. If they keep him, may have to take 13 pitchers North to cover him a bit.

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think that’s the wrong question.   The question is, does it seem likely that in a year or two he’d be one of our best 7?    If so, you put him on the roster for 17 days and then put him in the minors where he belongs.    But if you think it’s highly questionable that he’ll be one of our best 7 in the future, then sayonara.   I’m certainly in no position to judge this.

This.

12 hours ago, weams said:

The Cubs could always claim him that way I guess. 

But then they’d have to keep him on the 40. According to rule 5 rules when returning a player, do they have to stay on original teams 40 man if the drafting team successfully got him through waivers? I’m not an expert on the issue, so I could totally be wrong. It happens quite often actually.

Archived