OBP so far- And a Subscription Elias interview

wildcard

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure what translates but I agree defense most likely.

I think we should talk about the great interview Elias gave MLB Radio SiriusXM? Did anyone catch it about a week ago? If so, I'll gladly make a thread. 

I think a relatively useful spring stat for hitters is K rate.    In that regard, of players still in camp: 

Davis 50%

Wilkerson 42%

Mancini 38%

Nunez 34%

Bostick 33%

Susac 33%

Alberto 31%

Wynns 27%

Young 26%

Jackson 22%

Martin 22%

Santander 21%

Sisco 21%

Villar 21%

Rickard 19%

Ruiz 18%

Hays 17%

Peterson 17%

Mullins 15%

Escobar 13%

Perez 11%

Sucre 0%

Trumbo 0%

2 hours ago, thezeroes said:

If Mullins goes 2 for 2 and 2 walks in four plate appearances, his OBP goes from .244 to .311.  If those two hits are Doubles , he goes from .605 OPS to a .758 OPS.  In small sample sizes one good or bad day changes the stat line dramatically.

I hope he does just that.  But I am not going to hold my breath until he does.

3 hours ago, weams said:

I think we should talk about the great interview Elias gave MLB Radio SiriusXM? Did anyone catch it about a week ago? If so, I'll gladly make a thread. 

I am listening now - great find!  Nice interviews with ME, Hyde, Mancini, Martin (loved Jeter as a kid), Bundy, Givens, Hess (played against Mookie in hs), Mountcastle and Nunez.  Many of the quotes have been heard before but great job by the interviewers (Jim Duquette and Jon Morosi).

Edit update for Hyde - point guard in hs, was out of options with life when his baseball days were over and his college came calling to coach and finish studies.  Is patient due to his time in player development and knows how hard the game is due to his background.  Didn't mention any players at all specifically and keeps saying that all positions are open.

ME studied Arabic for a year before he decided to change course.  

Analytics were essentially zero before he arrived.

Sig, Hyde, Perez and minor league pitching coordinator were biggest hires (obviously).

On Davis - it is gonna take some time to employ his player development techniques plus working with Don Long (who CD likes) and Hyde.  He's in great shape and he will be a "work in progress" (my words).  CD is not going anywhere soon, IMO.

Things take so much time to finalize because of the "deadline mentality", everyone waiting to the very last minute to get the best deal.

Several choices out there that he feels confident about for the 1/1 choice.

Bundy also interviewed, he said:

Adjustments this year - use CH more to both sides and to L and RH'ers plus FB command.

Analytics are great but how much do you want to use it.  Grip adjustments seem to be most useful to him.

Brocail - likes him thus far - yada yada.

On Manny - happy for him.

Givens also interviewed - included Brian Matusz as one of early mentors in addition to the usual suspects.  Also said Andrew Miller was important to him with Team USA - Miller is from Tampa so they have that connection.  Mentions Wade Boggs, Sheffield, Carl Everett as part of early influences.  Also said Richie Martin is from Tampa and played against him in hs.

11 minutes ago, bobmc said:

On Davis - it is gonna take some time to employ his player development techniques plus working with Don Long (who CD likes) and Hyde.  He's in great shape and he will be a "work in progress" (my words).  CD is not going anywhere soon, IMO.

Thanks so much for recapping the interview, Bob!    Where do you find it?

I quoted the Davis part because it’s important for people to understand the approach the O’s are taking to try to salvage the guy.   They’re not going to give up without trying every trick in their book.    And that’s going to take a while.    Exactly how long?    Who knows.   But it’s going to be a couple of months, minimum, and maybe more.    

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, that's good.  I'm not sure what that means for the regular season but I'm thinking Mancini ends up with a .315 - .330 OBP, Villar ends up in the .330 range and Davis forgets what it's like to stand on first base with a helmet on his head.

Your last prediction would be fine if it meant he was busy circling the bases 45+ times.

30 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I am listening now - great find!  Nice interviews with Mountcastle and Nunez.  Many of the quotes have been heard before but great job by the interviewers (Jim Duquette and Jon Morosi).

ME studied Arabic for a year before he decided to change course.  

Analytics were essentially zero before he arrived.

Sig, Hyde, Perez and minor league pitching coordinator were biggest hires (obviously).

Things take so much time to finalize because of the "deadline mentality", everyone waiting to the very last minute to get the best deal.

Several choices out there that he feels confident about for the 1/1 choice.

Bundy also interviewed, he said:

Adjustments this year - use CH more to both sides and to L and RH'ers plus FB command.

Analytics are great but how much do you want to use it.  Grip adjustments seem to be most useful to him.

Brocail - likes him thus far - yada yada.

On Manny - happy for him.

Givens also interviewed - included Brian Matusz as one of early mentors in addition to the usual suspects.  Also said Andrew Miller was important to him with Team USA - Miller is from Tampa so they have that connection.  Mentions Wade Boggs, Sheffield, Carl Everett as part of early influences.  Also said Richie Martin is from Tampa and played against him in hs.

I didn't listen to Hess interview after yesterday's debacle.

@justd had it cued up for me. 

• weams changed the title to OBP so far- And a Subscription Elias interview
15 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Cue posts talking about to early to tell, Spring Training doesn't mean anything, Jake Fox, at least it's good that these guys are all performing well, there's something to look forward to, and something from @DrungoHazewood about how Jack Enzenroth hit .450 for a week in July playing for the 1914 Kansas City Packers of the Federal League.

Am I missing anything?

Enzenroth couldn't hold a candle to Felix Chouinard in 5 games for the Baltimore Terrapins.  

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I quoted the Davis part because it’s important for people to understand the approach the O’s are taking to try to salvage the guy.   They’re not going to give up without trying every trick in their book.    And that’s going to take a while.    Exactly how long?    Who knows.   But it’s going to be a couple of months, minimum, and maybe more.    

@justd found it on the siriusxm subscription 2019 Spring Training tour Orioles. 

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I subscribe to Sirius XM and you can find it in the Mlb station archive under spring training reviews of all teams.  I love listening to Hyde and prob missed a few nuggets. Hyde is all about the process and patience and trusting the time it takes to make a finished product.

I thought Morosi and Duquette did a very nice job of bringing out all the personalities.

Archived