3rd round of cuts

wildcard

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Rather surprising.

And disappointing after all the talk of this being an open competition.

Like I said before, my head says this is the right move, though as a pure fan I would have liked to see him make the team.    Hopefully he rakes at Norfolk and we see him up in Baltimore in mid-late May.    By my calculation, May 16 is the earliest he could be called up and finish the year with less than a full year of service time.    

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I still don’t understand why Hays has 34 days credited. He was called up on Sept 5 and season ended on Oct 1, 2017. That is 27 days. Must be some Rule I am missing. 

That’s a really good point.    It could just be that BB-ref is wrong.    So if you’re right, May 9 is the date Hays could be called up without earning a full year of service time. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

That’s a really good point.    It could just be that BB-ref is wrong.    So if you’re right, May 9 is the date Hays could be called up without earning a full year of service time. 

I was thinking that maybe it reverts back to the end of the minor league season?  Not sure. Even so that still doesn’t add up.  

Bundy is shown with 3.026 years. He was called up on September 19 and season ended Oct 3. That is 15 days. 2012 team made playoffs but that should not matter.  

Does it have something to do with only being able to accrue 172 days in any year and it is some percentage?

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Now that Buck is gone any chance reports ask about this?

I'm sure we will hear how he struggled last year and has to prove himself and all that but I just want the question on the record.

I think they will be asked why are you sending Hays down when he’s hitting .351/.385/.892.    They won’t be asked, aren’t you just doing this because of his service time.    Maybe someone will ask, was service time a consideration.   If asked, they will say no.    Either way it will be pointed out that he struggled last year and hasn’t played AAA.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think they will be asked why are you sending Hays down when he’s hitting .351/.385/.892.    They won’t be asked, aren’t you just doing this because of his service time.    Maybe someone will ask, was service time a consideration.   If asked, they will say no.    Either way it will be pointed out that he struggled last year and hasn’t played AAA.

Sure, I'm not worried about the answer, I just want the questions asked.

Maybe "You said this was an open competition to make the team this spring, and Hays has performed very well.  Was the talk of competition simply lip service as it appears?"

47 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I was thinking that maybe it reverts back to the end of the minor league season?  Not sure. Even so that still doesn’t add up.  

Bundy is shown with 3.026 years. He was called up on September 19 and season ended Oct 3. That is 15 days. 2012 team made playoffs but that should not matter.  

Does it have something to do with only being able to accrue 172 days in any year and it is some percentage?

Think I have the answer, more or less.   On Sept. 24 last year Hays was put on the 60-day DL to have ankle surgery.    Those days during the season count as major league service.    That still seems to leave him short 2 days, but I’ll asume maybe the reporting lagged.    Why they bothered putting him on the DL at that point is a little beyond me but presumably they were making room for some other move. 

[Edit: they added John Means to the roster the same day.]

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

He would still be a super 2 guy on May 9th so don't expect him then. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Rather surprising.

And disappointing after all the talk of this being an open competition.

It was an open competition, but they never said who it was open too. I'm glad to see the team take a long view and if sending Hays out gives us extra controllability time I'm ok with that.

Archived