Hard to keep Hays out of this lineup

Roy Firestone

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Cuts away bonds between team and fan?    That seems a bit dramatic.    I’m just hoping Hays proves in the minors that he should be up here.

A few more.  Not some kind of catastrophic tipping point, but a few fans will say "hey, where's that Hays guy who tore up spring training?"  "Oh, he's in Norfolk until at least June because they want to try to keep him under team control in seven years."  "Oh, okay, I guess I'll really tune in in June, when they're 22 games out."

(Ha!  See two posts up.)

54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not that hard to keep him out of the lineup, apparently.    

May 16 is the day we can call him up and not have him finish the season with a full year of service time.    Let’s see if he hits well enough in the minors to deserve a call-up by then.    

It's Norfolk in April/May, so how high is that bar?  A .725 OPS?

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's Norfolk in April/May, so how high is that bar?  A .725 OPS?

Could be pretty low.   I’d probably be looking at his K rate and whatever analytic data they have down in AAA in terms of hard contact etc.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

A few more.  Not some kind of catastrophic tipping point, but a few fans will say "hey, where's that Hays guy who tore up spring training?"  "Oh, he's in Norfolk until at least June because they want to try to keep him under team control in seven years."  "Oh, okay, I guess I'll really tune in in June, when they're 22 games out."

(Ha!  See two posts up.)

Too funny!

20 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If not manipulation then what is the term for not fielding your best 25-man roster on purpose, intentionally losing more games today, so that you can theoretically gain more wins in six or seven years?  You are taking advantage of a loophole in the rules that allows you to gain from playing worse baseball.  Baseball has set up a system by which teams can benefit by violating the basic ethos of sport, which is that everyone is doing their best to win today.  Manipulation?  I don't know.  Right?  In a purely transactional sense, I suppose.  It also cuts away a few more of those bonds between team and fan.  But they clearly don't care about winning as many baseball games as they can this year.

Major league baseball involves a lot more than Fielding the best 25 at any given moment. You are building for the Long haul and that involves all sorts of considerations including service time, contracts etc. How many fans are upset right now that the Cubs held back Kris Bryant? 

Really Hays was the only thing I was looking forward to this season.  The team has given us zero reason to watch.  Everything about this team is pathetic. New manager talks about defense but I see Mancini is in left today.  

A team rebuilding with zero young guys on the team?  

Really nothing has changed since last season.  Hopefully the Angelo's sons are forced to sell team and Elias is fired and we can start down a new path.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Major league baseball involves a lot more than Fielding the best 25 at any given moment. You are building for the Long haul and that involves all sorts of considerations including service time, contracts etc. How many fans are upset right now that the Cubs held back Kris Bryant? 

Being upset has nothing to do with whether it was done to manipulate his service time.   Clearly it was.  That was the whole point.    

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm guessing the Cubs fans aren't super happy that he turned down the extension last year.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The same data they have from spring training which says he wasn't good enough?

The fact of the matter is that a large portion of his ABs came against low level pitching. He missed a huge chunk of last year and struggled in the times he did play. Aside from hastily bringing him up in 2016 (where he struggled) he's never made it up to AAA. I think the rationale here goes a little beyond service time manipulation.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Really Hays was the only thing I was looking forward to this season.  The team has given us zero reason to watch.  Everything about this team is pathetic. New manager talks about defense but I see Mancini is in left today.  

A team rebuilding with zero young guys on the team?  

Really nothing has changed since last season.  Hopefully the Angelo's sons are forced to sell team and Elias is fired and we can start down a new path.

Everything that’s being done is with an eye towards the long term good of the franchise.    If it’s painful in the short term, so be it.   

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Nolan Reimold had a pretty good April and May in Norfolk once upon a time.  Anything less than an .800 OPS would be pretty disappointing considering what he did in as two years ago and this spring.  I'm guessing he puts up big numbers down there.

Yep, back in '09.

Seems relevant.

1 minute ago, LTO's said:

The fact of the matter is that a large portion of his ABs came against low level pitching. He missed a huge chunk of last year and struggled in the times he did play. Aside from hastily bringing him up in 2016 (where he struggled) he's never made it up to AAA. I think the rationale here goes a little beyond service time manipulation.

They didn't bring him up in 2016.  He was drafted in 2016.

I also think the rationale here is 100% about service time manipulation.  With Diaz I can see it as he isn't on the 40 man roster.  They don't have that excuse with Hays.  If he gets called up and struggles, you send him down. 

Archived