Hard to keep Hays out of this lineup

Roy Firestone

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I doubt Elias feels that way.   

Well if he doesn't he shouldnt be GM as if a guy isnt going to be able to contribute at major league level and has no trade value than no reason to keep on 40 man.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RZNJ said:

Getting a little bit ahead of yourself with another conspiracy theory, don't you think.

Nope, it isn't a new one.

Just adding to one of the ones I already have.

I've mentioned before that Elias might be operating with a very limited budget, this would play into that.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or he's not being given the opportunity to sign guys long term with the current team situation?

Just a thought.

I think it is a very poor idea to assume that just because someone is smart their actions are above reproach. 

Too soon to know how good a GM Elias will be.    I like his overall game plan and apparent priorities. The proof will be in the execution.   

It’s impossible to know whether there are any constraints on him, but I’m sure his plan didn’t call for immediate long term contracts to anyone.    

Just for the record, would you offer Hays a long term deal right now, and if so, on what terms?   Anybody besides Hays you’d approach, and for how much?   Assuming no ownership constraints.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

To soon to know how good a GM Elias will be.    I like his overall game plan and apparent priorities. The proof will be in the execution.   

It’s impossible to know whether there are any constraints on him, but I’m sure his plan didn’t call for immediate long term contracts to anyone.    

Just for the record, would you offer Hays a long term deal right now, and if so, on what terms?   Anybody besides Hays you’d approach, and for how much?   Assuming no ownership constraints.    

Tough question to give a decent answer to.

I'm not interested in looking up comps and coming up with specific contract terms.  That just isn't how I want to spend my morning.

I also don't have near the data to make a truly informed decision.

That being the case I'm going to have to give you a bad answer.  I would very much be interested in early extensions for both Hays and Diaz with terms favorable for the team.

1 hour ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

I’m excited that Austin Hays showed a strong return to form this spring and that he has really re-emerged, but sending him down is the right call. And to me, there’s not much question. Like that old Stanford study...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_marshmallow_experiment

Hope he mashes his way back to Baltimore by mid-May.

If he is ready to play why not start him in the season opener? Delaying some clock or whatever seems silly to me.

41 minutes ago, atomic said:

Really Hays was the only thing I was looking forward to this season.  The team has given us zero reason to watch.  Everything about this team is pathetic. New manager talks about defense but I see Mancini is in left today.  

A team rebuilding with zero young guys on the team?  

Really nothing has changed since last season.  Hopefully the Angelo's sons are forced to sell team and Elias is fired and we can start down a new path.

Oh good grief. It's ST. So Mancini is in LF for a game. You complain a lot. I wonder if you are ever happy? 

Might be good to develop an offensive core in the minors: Hays, Diaz, Mountcastle, Santander. They won't all come up at the same time, but let tomorrow's A-Team play together a little bit while we're saddled with Davis, Trumbo and Mancini.

2 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Oh good grief. It's ST. So Mancini is in LF for a game. You complain a lot. I wonder if you are ever happy? 

I had forgotten to block him, I'm grateful he reminded me why I wanted to.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who believes him?

Who cares? 

They are clearly prioritizing slow-playing the actual prospects. Hays, Diaz, Stewart, etc. The real roster competition was at catcher, MI, and bullpen. If I'm Mullins, I'm a little worried that making the team now means the Os don't really view me as a true prospect needing to get more seasoning in the minors.

End of the day these guys will be up as soon as there's an injury or at some point this season.

42 minutes ago, atomic said:

If that were true they would have signed one of those Cuban guys.  Everything is being done to save money.  Every move made by the team since sons took over was to save money.  I am sure reason Hyde was chosen as manager was because he was cheapest.

If the 2019-2021 payroll is $200 million, and that lets us have Francisco Lindor (or any real star in 2022), is that wise budgeting or penuriousness?

However short-sighted it was, the end of the last era saw high payrolls at the expense of financial resources for other vital areas.  Cot's won't have a line item for Rapsodo machines or personnel, but you have to imagine the Elias-Angelos sons conversations were in part about substantial sums for those sorts of things.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He seems disingenuous to me.

Which is typical for someone in his role.

You've just been waiting for something like this to be the contrarian. Give it a rest. Perfectly normal to want Hays to get more milb ABs. Development at all costs is the name of the game. 

Archived