TT: Development is key in 3rd round of cuts

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Natty said:

How many months should we give Davis? I'm convinced he can't hit.

1 hour ago, Natty said:

How many months should we give Davis? I'm convinced he can't hit.

I'm not ownership but I would've cut him already.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is it accurate to say Trumbo can't hit?  He can't field and he can't run.  He can hit a bit.

The fact he only got two at bats today means one of two things to me. He's still not healthy, or the Orioles have decided to eat his contract and release him this spring. Why else would he only be getting to ABs when they need to get him ready for spring training.

3 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It feels like a lot of people failed to realize the fact that Hays has less than half a season in AA and Santander mainly played in AA as a rehab assignment during his Rule 5 year.

Then they also only care about Spring stats if someone they like does well, or someone they dislike does bad. Otherwise "stats don't matter."

It does seem to me that Elias had already penciled in Diaz, Hays and Santander for more minor league time. I'm a litt surprised that Ynoa was cut. Still not sure I get the apparent fascination with Mike Wright. Can't tell if it's to try and drum up a market for him or if there's something new in the analytics that suggest he can be better.

That is a great summary of the situation, Tony!  Well done.  

Have to like sending Hays down.  He had to be sent down IMO for service clock reasons - just as Markakis should have been sent down a long time ago as I advocated then.  This is a GM with a firm grip on the control of the franchise operating with laser-like precision to move the organization forward the right way.

IMO, ST could not have gone much better.  Two major question marks in Hays and Chance performed well beyond expectations and could be quality parts of our next competitive team and could move up the timeline of that team if they can be contributors.  I would have liked to see some bullpen guys perform better, but I like the collection of arms we have there.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It does seem to me that Elias had already penciled in Diaz, Hays and Santander for more minor league time. I'm a litt surprised that Ynoa was cut. Still not sure I get the apparent fascination with Mike Wright. Can't tell if it's to try and drum up a market for him or if there's something new in the analytics that suggest he can be better.

I think they just want as many in house arms as possible to eat innings and prevent the actual pitching prospects from being rushed.  Maybe Wright gets the boot if a better candidate is put on waivers.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think they just want as many in house arms as possible to eat innings and prevent the actual pitching prospects from being rushed.  Maybe Wright gets the boot if a better candidate is put on waivers.

Among alums, Jason Hammel has had a fine spring and says he wants no part of Texas AAA.  His FIP''s have run in the mid-4's the last couple years while the ERA's have been high-5's.  I think he's a better bet for 100ish innings of 5.25 than Wright.

40 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I have to wonder if Ynoa and his injury issue last season and not being on the 40 played a factor in him going for some MiLB time. 

That, or he was sent out now and will come back if someone is on the IL to start the season (Karns or another pitcher.)

Not sure the hate on Wright. Hasn't he been more effective than Cobb, Cashner, and Bundy so far?

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

With Wright it has to be because he is out of options.  I don’t know how much rope he’ll get until he gets DFA-ed. 

On the other hand, I don’t know why any other team would claim him on waivers. Maybe his stuff would fare better in the NL?

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

With Wright it has to be because he is out of options.  I don’t know how much rope he’ll get until he gets DFA-ed. 

On the other hand, I don’t know why any other team would claim him on waivers. Maybe his stuff would fare better in the NL?

Giants love the DFA'ed Orioles...

56 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That was the excuse last year too.  When he pitches, the team is out of options. 

8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

That was the excuse last year too.  When he pitches, the team is out of options. 

Hopefully in 2-3 years Elias has built up the organization enough that we aren’t having discussions about “Mike Wright” type pitchers and if they will be on the opening day roster. 

There is absolutely no reason to play Mancini in the OF. People say he’s forced into LF by Trumbo and Davis, but that’s no reason to let a useless glove play LF when far better defenders are available, including a few who hit ok as well. A 3-way platoon at DH/1B is awkward, but it’s the only reasonable way to deal with things. Just let Davis sit most of the time. It’s not like we lose anything by putting him on the bench.

7 hours ago, Natty said:

ERA from our starters...

Bundy 10.80

Hess 9.00

Cashner 8.64

Cobb 8.31

Wright  3.06

The pitching is in shambles. Cobb is considering dropping his wind up all together now. 

This ST has been fun, but the realism is about to hit us really fast. The SP is maybe the worst in MLB. Heck, we don’t even have 5 SP. Wright and Ynoa were the only ones that stepped up even a little. Karns isn’t ready. We’re going to have a tough time just covering innings. 

The current makeup of the OF isn’t going to do the P any favors. The bullpen has even struggled a bit.

I think we’re looking at 1-2 guys that aren’t in the organization getting claimed/traded for, just to fill out the OD pitching staff. 

Archived