Escobar released

Going Underground

Glad to see this. He was here in case Martin and Jackson looked overmatched. Although Martin's bat will be pretty weak next year most likely, his defense is certainly good enough to start.  Both Martin and Jackson are better players and honestly, I would have preferred Reinheimer and Peterson over him as well at this stage. He just doesn't have a lot left in the tank.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, bobmc said:

In the Sirius XM interview, Richie Jackson was asked if Escobar influenced him.  Richie gave a mild compliment.  He said that he watches players more than talking to them (and e.g., used watching Jeter as a big influence).  He appreciated how Alcides " went about his business" and had some good takes watching him practice.

Pro response there by the kid. Good on him.

2 hours ago, bobmc said:

In the Sirius XM interview, Richie Jackson was asked if Escobar influenced him.  Richie gave a mild compliment.  He said that he watches players more than talking to them (and e.g., used watching Jeter as a big influence).  He appreciated how Alcides " went about his business" and had some good takes watching him practice.

Do you mean Richie Martin?  Or Drew Jackson?

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Glad to see this. He was here in case Martin and Jackson looked overmatched. Although Martin's bat will be pretty weak next year most likely, his defense is certainly good enough to start.  Both Martin and Jackson are better players and honestly, I would have preferred Reinheimer and Peterson over him as well at this stage. He just doesn't have a lot left in the tank.

Hopefully contracts will enable both of them to see the ball better and make better contact,

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I’m getting worried about Martin’s bat.     He’s really struggled the last 10 days or so.

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m getting worried about Martin’s bat.     He’s really struggled the last 10 days or so.

He recently changed his batting stance, which I take to be an adjustment due to his recent slump, but so far it hasn't worked. 

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think he will play good defense. Hitting is a big work in progress.

Jon Meoli:

Since he's relevant today, Richie Martin ended March 6 with a .450 spring average on a two-hit day. He has hit three balls in the air in the two weeks since, with a double, a walk, and a hit-by-pitch in 22 plate appearances. But the glove plays.

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I think he will play good defense. Hitting is a big work in progress.

Jon Meoli:

Since he's relevant today, Richie Martin ended March 6 with a .450 spring average on a two-hit day. He has hit three balls in the air in the two weeks since, with a double, a walk, and a hit-by-pitch in 22 plate appearances. But the glove plays.

Yeah, I think the glove will be fine.    But I’m not one of those guys who believes that so long as a shortstop plays good defense, their bat doesn’t matter.   There’s a point at which the hitting is so bad that defense can’t make up for it.   .650 OPS I can live with; .550 OPS is pretty much unplayable in today’s game.    I haven’t watched enough of Martin to know just how stellar his glove will be or just how weak his bat will be.    Hopefully there’s enough bat there where the glove can carry it.

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, they've caught up to him a bit. I 'm really not expecting much from the bat initially. I'm hoping it will improve as the season goes on but it could mean more opportunity for the utility guy/s if he's not hitting by June.

54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I think the glove will be fine.    But I’m not one of those guys who believes that so long as a shortstop plays good defense, their bat doesn’t matter.   There’s a point at which the hitting is so bad that defense can’t make up for it.   .650 OPS I can live with; .550 OPS is pretty much unplayable in today’s game.    I haven’t watched enough of Martin to know just how stellar his glove will be or just how weak his bat will be.    Hopefully there’s enough bat there where the glove can carry it.

This is where I stand. A 2010 Cesar Izturis at the plate would be painful to watch. I still have nightmares.

6 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

This is where I stand. A 2010 Cesar Izturis at the plate would be painful to watch. I still have nightmares.

Get ready for painful to watch. There will be plenty of it. This kid does have some upside though. He could surprise. It looks like he'll get the opportunity to do so.

Archived