Sisco/Sucre/Severino

HowAboutThat

There’s been some discussion about the new catching pick up being a harbinger of doom for Sisco.

I can’t see how that’s really possible, because Severino doesn’t have time to learn the pitching staff before the season opens. I have no illusions about Sisco being a great catcher, but there’s no reason not to let him play, at least to start the season. He can always be replaced later. My question is about Sucre, however. 

As I understand it, Sucre was requested to not exercise his opt out, Supposedly because he was going to make the team but they were waiting to make the final roster shuffle so the guy who got designated would have a bigger chance of making it through waivers. The very next day they go out and get Severino and put him on the 40 man.

If I understand that correctly, and if Sucre is now in danger of being, released, I guess, doesn’t that kind of make the front office look a little bit shady?

I’m not looking for demons where there are none, any clarification would be welcome. But if I’m understanding the sequence properly, it sure doesn’t look very honorable.

We don’t really know what happened or what the O’s will do with Sucre, but assuming that Severino first went on the waiver wire today, I don’t think the O’s can be blamed for claiming him just because they encouraged Sucre to opt in.    They had no way to know Severino would become available.   In any event, if they intend to keep Severino over Sucre (which I tend to doubt) they should offer to release Sucre and then there’s no issue.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

We don’t really know what happened or what the O’s will do with Sucre, but assuming that Severino first went on the waiver wire today, I don’t think the O’s can be blamed for claiming him just because they encouraged Sucre to opt in.    They had no way to know Severino would become available.   In any event, if they intend to keep Severino over Sucre (which I tend to doubt) they should offer to release Sucre and then there’s no issue.   

The Nats have major league veteran Cs Yan Gomes and Kurt Suzuki so it certainly wasn't a shock that Severino didn't make the team.   Now I guess he had to clear all the NL teams on waivers before getting to us so maybe that was unexpected?

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I;ve heard it guessed that the Orioles will DFA Severino and look to outright him. 

This could go many ways, but I don’t think of this move as shady in any way. Severino is a tremendous talent, defensively. They could turn around and DFA him tomorrow. They could take him North and option Chance. Perhaps they DFA Severino a month or two from now and bring back Wynns from the IL or Chance from AAA. 

It would not be ideal to take a catcher like this North with no time catching your staff, but so be it. Sucre seems to be a lock, and from what I’ve seen, he may be our best catcher defensively in some time. The way he receives the ball is outstanding. So, if Chance went North, would he get the at bats he needs? Is Chance better off going to AAA to get the reps and ab’s? I think so, for now.

1 minute ago, Jammer7 said:

This could go many ways, but I don’t think of this move as shady in any way. Severino is a tremendous talent, defensively. They could turn around and DFA him tomorrow. They could take him North and option Chance. Perhaps they DFA Severino a month or two from now and bring back Wynns from the IL or Chance from AAA. 

It would not be ideal to take a catcher like this North with no time catching your staff, but so be it. Sucre seems to be a lock, and from what I’ve seen, he may be our best catcher defensively in some time. The way he receives the ball is outstanding. So, if Chance went North, would he get the at bats he needs? Is Chance better off going to AAA to get the reps and ab’s? I think so, for now.

I don't think they are better off at AAA.  Best instructors are at the ML level right?

I think you send a kid who has ML experience and is putting up a 1200 OPS in ST down you are sending him the wrong message.

Archived