Please can we trade for LaRoche...

bej6789

Through the next 6 years, assuming for theoretical purposes that Sherrill remains an O, LaRoche will be worth $40,000,000 MORP more than Sherrill ($20 million to $60 million). That's a lot!

Although, I would be tempted with the Dodgers farm system to pry away another young talent and then 'settle' on this deal. So I wouldn't mind asking for more initially. If you get it, great. If not, I would make this deal. I also understand though that a lot of people don't like the one for one deals. There was a rumor last offseason, pre-bedard deal, that the Mariners were offering Adam Jones for Johan Santana. The Twins were uncomfortable getting one player back, however, the deal they ended up with was most likely worse. I think perception will play a big role in whatever deal is made.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We can probably get a second player, but it's doubtful that it would be a guy as good as the ones you mention.

Who knows...I think since LaRoche has really seen his value lowered, I think you definitely can get a very solid second player...Now, maybe Hu is the best we can get, i am not sure but I do think the second player would be a good one.

After reading through this thread, some people are seriously over-valuing Sherrill.

Closers are the most overrated and easy to replace commodities in baseball. george Sherrill isn't some dominant shut-down relief ace. He's an above average reliever, nothing more. We can easily replace himin the closer's role. His 3.80 ERA and 1.43 WHIP are far form irreplaceable.

If LaRoche for Sherrill is on the table we should pull the trigger.

LaRoche has completely mashed everywhere he has been. he's struggled in 145 ML at-bats, but his 1800 Mil at-bats area much better indicator to use.

In his brief ML career, Dodger stadium has killed his numbers, he has a .799 road OPS.

If you can trade a reliever for an potential all-star caliber 3rd baseman, you do it!

It would be nice to add an arm to this trade, maybe a low level, high-risk, high-reward guy.

We are all dumber after listening to that comment. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Hello cbm5042... Try a bit harder in the future to refrain from using 'we' in those sort of derogatory comments.

I personally understand the reasoning behind both opinions, regarding the value of Sherrill versus the value of young Mr. LaRoche.

To infer that people of the opposite opinion are stupid is out-of-line. I notice the tempers flaring up here at the site, and not just you, but some veteran posters as well... and I just wish the juvenile antics would take a rest. This site was created for Orioles fans everywhere to have the chance to discuss varying opinions and ideas, and a place to voice our concerns. While we often grow frustrated at what we perceive to be fallacies in the viewpoints of others, a more courteous response is the appropriate way to go...

Furthermore, I respect you and your views... and I'm glad to have you here.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Oh how I have been waiting for this since you came over to this board. This is fantastic. *makes popcorn*

Elliot :clap3:

Hahaha Elliot! Whats up buddy?! The Orioles board is really strange and MLB tech support is trying to fix it. It shows an error message whenever I try logging in yet every other team board is visible and I still have my MLB.TV account. Weird stuff. Anyway, good to know you're here.

I disagree and you clearly don't recognize a Billy Madison quote when you see one. Lighten up man its a movie quote and almost anybody knows that. I won't be banned yet I have chosen to ignore multiple comments that could be considered insults because I think its childish to do so. Now can we move on? This is ridiculous.

I recognized that quote. It was honestly the first time I've ever seen a situation where it could have been used on it's own post.

Maybe you should tell us why you have such a low opinion of LaRoche? I know the Colletti stuff, but you seem to believe he is some kind of marginal prospect.

And I would seriously recommend being more respectful of your fellow posters. No one has said anything to deserve your treatment of them, at least until you started up with them.

Just a suggestion, do with it what you will. Just remember that I'm not necessarily as nice as some of these guys, so don't reject it in the same manner as the rest of your posts.

Hahaha Elliot! Whats up buddy?! The Orioles board is really strange and MLB tech support is trying to fix it. It shows an error message whenever I try logging in yet every other team board is visible and I still have my MLB.TV account. Weird stuff. Anyway, good to know you're here.

Somehow, this explains everything.

Hello cbm5042... Try a bit harder in the future to refrain from using 'we' in those sort of derogatory comments.

I personally understand the reasoning behind both opinions, regarding the value of Sherrill versus the value of young Mr. LaRoche.

To infer that people of the opposite opinion are stupid is out-of-line. I notice the tempers flaring up here at the site, and not just you, but some veteran posters as well... and I just wish the juvenile antics would take a rest. This site was created for Orioles fans everywhere a chance to discuss varying opinions and ideas, and a place to voice our concerns. While we often grow frustrated at what we perceive to be fallacies in the viewpoints of others, but a more courteous response is the appropriate way to go...

Thanks Greg I appreciate your candor and respect for me in addressing the situation. You're right, tempers had begun to flare both veteran and rookie poster alike and I think its silly to get so worked up on a message board. Thanks for the advice.

To infer that people of the opposite opinion are stupid is out-of-line. I notice the tempers flaring up here at the site, and not just you, but some veteran posters as well... and I just wish the juvenile antics would take a rest. This site was created for Orioles fans everywhere a chance to discuss varying opinions and ideas, and a place to voice our concerns. While we often grow frustrated at what we perceive to be fallacies in the viewpoints of others, but a more courteous response is the appropriate way to go...

Well said Greg Thanks!

I recognized that quote. It was honestly the first time I've ever seen a situation where it could have been used on it's own post.

Maybe you should tell us why you have such a low opinion of LaRoche? I know the Colletti stuff, but you seem to believe he is some kind of marginal prospect.

And I would seriously recommend being more respectful of your fellow posters. No one has said anything to deserve your treatment of them, at least until you started up with them.

Just a suggestion, do with it what you will. Just remember that I'm not necessarily as nice as some of these guys, so don't reject it in the same manner as the rest of your posts.

Alright I'll try and address this question. I feel like you are talking about the LaRoche of '06 and '07 as opposed to this year. We have heard from LA's own press that the opinion of LaRoche has soured and that they absolutely do not want to have to bring him up and play 3B and would instead trade two good minor leaguers for a veteran 3B. He may one day be an all star and I like him as a prospect but do not see how an injury plagued player whose stock has dropped in the eyes of his own team is worth arguably our second most valuable trade piece.

Protrade, the best virtual commodities market other than intrade, now has George Sherrill at 78.8% earned. That's the highest E/P among relievers- Price: $120.20, Earnings: $94.78

I know the fantasy baseball market and real baseball market correlate as well as land phone users and mobile phone users when it comes to polling, but it appears Sherrill's value is at an all-time high in fantasy-land. Take it for what it's worth, which is probably not that much. Still, it could make you feel good about what to expect in return. Read into it as much as you want to.

Archived