Please can we trade for LaRoche...

bej6789

Alright I'll try and address this question. I feel like you are talking about the LaRoche of '06 and '07 as opposed to this year. We have heard from LA's own press that the opinion of LaRoche has soured and that they absolutely do not want to have to bring him up and play 3B and would instead trade two good minor leaguers for a veteran 3B. He may one day be an all star and I like him as a prospect but do not see how an injury plagued player whose stock has dropped in the eyes of his own team is worth arguably our second most valuable trade piece.

I think you have a point, but you are also possibly over-valuing Sherrill. Saves have little real value other then perception, and teams could be looking at his ERA, or his lesser ability to get righties out.

Of course, as I said I have a low opinion of Colletti, so we can hope he's overvaluing Sherrill and we can get more than LaRoche for him.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright I'll try and address this question. I feel like you are talking about the LaRoche of '06 and '07 as opposed to this year. We have heard from LA's own press that the opinion of LaRoche has soured and that they absolutely do not want to have to bring him up and play 3B and would instead trade two good minor leaguers for a veteran 3B. He may one day be an all star and I like him as a prospect but do not see how an injury plagued player whose stock has dropped in the eyes of his own team is worth arguably our second most valuable trade piece.

Yeah, but the Dodgers are foolish for not playing LaRoche, IMO.

If the deadline comes around and Laroche is the best offer we've gotten for Sherrill, we need to pull the trigger.

Over the next 6 years LaRoche will at worst, be an above-average 3B, who consistently puts up an .824-.850 OPS while mashing 20-25 HR a year.

At best, he is a superstar 3rd baseman, who puts up a .900+ OPS while masing 35-40 HR.

This thread is the epitome of the insanity that goes on during the days before the trading deadline. Every single person on this board wants a trade to go down, and seeing other teams get in on the action makes us want it that much more. I tried to post some information to spur some good ol' trade talk and it turned into a 3rd grade playdough fight.

Over the next 6 years LaRoche will at worst, be an above-average 3B, who consistently puts up an .824-.850 OPS while mashing 20-25 HR a year.

If he's on the field and not on the DL for most of those 6 seasons...

Yeah, but the Dodgers are foolish for not playing LaRoche, IMO.

If the deadline comes around and Laroche is the best offer we've gotten for Sherrill, we need to pull the trigger.

At best, he is a superstar 3rd baseman, who puts up a .900+ OPS while masing 35-40 HR.

I don't think any stat projection in the world will tell you his worst will be a .824 OPS.

Really .... A guy like Sherill who they could use. That would make them better for a guy they dont need, that has injury problems , and that they are pretty fed up with. Not sure I agree with your logic.

Logic? I am talking reality. Just because they dont need LaRoche now doesn't mean they are going to give him away.

I bet other teams out of contention will cough up an RP for less than LaRoche.

Would you give up one of our top prospects (Rowell or Reimold for example) and more (as being suggested in this thread- LaRoche isnt enough) for a 31 year old middle reliever with Sherrills career numbers?

I hope you all are right and we get that kind of value for Sherrill: one of the top prospects in baseball (LaRoche) and other(s) players for Sherrill.

I just don't see it happening.

If he's on the field and not on the DL for most of those 6 seasons...

You are totally overblowing the injury stuff...Diving for a ball and getting hit by a pitch are things that could happen to anyone at anytime.

The back is a concern but you can play through a disk problem.

Logic? I am talking reality. Just because they dont need LaRoche now doesn't mean they are going to give him away.

I bet other teams out of contention will cough up an RP for less than LaRoche.

Would you give up one of our top prospects (Rowell or Reimold for example) and more (as being suggested in this thread- LaRoche isnt enough) for a 31 year old middle reliever with Sherrills career numbers?

I hope you all are right and we get that kind of value for Sherrill: one of the top prospects in baseball (LaRoche) and other(s) players for Sherrill.

I just don't see it happening.

The dodgers seem to not want LaRoche on their team.

I don't think they are better relievers on the market than Sherrill.

The dodgers have a chance to win the divison. They would probably want to trade somebody they don't want for someone that could be a great piece to their bullpen.

Sherrill can get out lefties. Those types of Relievers are always in high demand.

The dodgers have a chance to win the divison. They would probably want to trade somebody they don't want for someone that could be a great piece to their bullpen.

Sherrill can get out lefties. Those types of Relievers are always in high demand.

I know all that..... I just don't see it happening.

I will be pleasantly surprised if it does.

Can you provide similar deals in years past where a mid-reliever was traded for one of the best prospects in baseball, let alone multiple prospects?

Can you provide similar deals in years past where a mid-reliever was traded for one of the best prospects in baseball, let alone multiple prospects?

Sherrill is a closer, whether you want to recognize that or not.

And you seem to be totally overlooking the fact that the Dodgers have really hurt LaRoche's value.

Sherrill is highly sought after right now and it is going to take a good package to "win" his services.

What about that Grimsely trade?

What? The following are left handed relievers that are comparable or better than Sherrill, and may be available.

Brian Fuentes

Ron Mahay

Eddie Guardado

Jeremy Affeldt

John Grabow

Scott Downs

Arthur Rhodes

Many contenders don't even need a closer, so Sherrill saves won't matter to them. And there are GMs who are smart enough to look beyond Sherrill's save numbers and see a reliever with a high WHIP, 24 walks in 42 and two thirds innings, and a pitcher that has a history of tiring in August and September within 3 innings of pitching the most he has ever pitched in the majors.

It's funny how people post here like they are negotiating with other GMs. They are plenty of good relievers on the market this year. A GM is not going to overpay to get Sherrill without looking at these other guys.

I am sure that the Nationals had other others for Jon Rauch, and look who they got in return, Emilio Bonifacio. And Rauch is a better pitcher this year than Sherrill, and he is also not a rental.

Sherrill may get traded, but he is not going to bring back what a lot of people hope.

Archived