Who loses at bats? Davis/Nunez/Mancini?

Tony-OH

5 minutes ago, Natty said:

But Hyde makes the lineup. Did Elias tell him you have to play Davis? I'm looking for the analytic that puts Davis in the lineup and cant see it. 

Chain of command.

Ownership tells Elias, Elias tells Hyde.

I don't want the Brothers Angelos bypassing Elias and talking to the manager.

Davis may get spelled occasionally against LHP, but I don't see happening often. I think for the most part Nunez is the odd man out. I see his role as occasional platoon with Davis vs LHP and occasionally spelling Ruiz. If Ruiz fails to hit over an extended period, Nunez is Plan B. He can also be a PH off the bench, e.g. when a LHP is brought in to face Davis.

37 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Nunez has not started at third since March 16th. Played a game or two at first since then. Not sure how healthy he is and when and if he plays much third this year,

Don't see how he plays much third this season until his arm gets better and he rebuilds the strength. A rehab stint might be in order.

What SHOULD happen is Mancini plays 1B every day, Ruiz and Nunez split time at 3rd (Nunez vs LHP, Ruiz vs RHP).  Davis splits DH ABs with Nunez against, and against LHP when Nunez is playing 3B, hopefully they can figure out some other RH option to DH.

What WILL happen.....who knows, but I sure hope it's not Davis at 1B every day.

31 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It's starting to look like that the day we decide to move on from Davis and Trumbo, will be the last days they play professional baseball.  Trumbo starting on the IL really takes the chances of him being traded down to 1%.  I think Trumbo is DFA'd "Valencia" style after we cannot trade him.  Davis survives the season but isn't back next year.  

I'm not that pessimistic on Trumbo.  I keep thinking of 2006/2007 Roger Clemens's partial seasons.  I almost feel like the Orioles play is calibrated to him being able to perform for 3 months, not 6.  I could see him on a contender this fall like Justin Bour on the Phillies at the end of last year.  I think in June he will be a better DH than Hanley Ramirez.  I expect no talent in return but if we only have to subsidize a third of his August/September salary, that's $3M more for Edgetronic cameras.

3 minutes ago, esmd said:

What SHOULD happen is Mancini plays 1B every day, Ruiz and Nunez split time at 3rd (Nunez vs LHP, Ruiz vs RHP).  Davis splits DH ABs with Nunez against, and against LHP when Nunez is playing 3B, hopefully they can figure out some other RH option to DH.

What WILL happen.....who knows, but I sure hope it's not Davis at 1B every day.

Mancini has said he likes DH'ing.  He could just be that stressed over playing LF in the MLB.  

Looking at Ruiz and Nunez's AAA stats, it looks like Ruiz has had the better track record.  Nunez had a big 2017 season.  Would be nice if we could squeeze out a MLB 3rd baseman from those two.  

I didn’t get to see much of him but the consensus amongst a couple people I spoke to was that Davis looked much improved at the plate towards the end of spring, Would anybody else agree? I expect Davis to be at 1st majority of games he has the best glove. I do believe Mancini will see his fair share of time at 1st rotating with Davis between dh and 1st. Nunez with his bicep injury will be limited to DH early so I expect him to loose the most at bats. Now if Davis picks right up from last year and shows no improvement I expect he’ll be on a short leash if that’s the case roles reverse and Davis will be seeing a considerable amount of time on the bench with majority of starts at 1st going to Mancini. I really hope we do not see much of Mancini in the outfield. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I doubt a player will get buried for a week at a time or more.

In fairness to Buck, he had legit every day players at several positions. Hyde doesn't exactly have to work around established major leaguers this year.

Archived