Opening Day Analytics in Orioles 7-2 loss to Yankees

Tony-OH

• The Yankees had 8 hits over 100 MPH exit velocity compared to 3 by the #Orioles. Cashner gave up 6 of those including Giancarlo Stanton's 120.6 MPH 1B, and Luke Voit's 112.6 MPH, 428 foot dead center home run. Dwight Smith Jr. had O's hardest hit with his 103.5 MPH single.
  • The Yankees averaged 96 MPH Exit velocity off Cashner today which is bad, but not as bad as Paul Fry's 99.3 EV allowed. Mike Wright struggled to throw strikes but only allowed a 84.9 EV. These Yankees can hit.
  • Rio Ruiz's 4th inning single (100.3) was the only other Orioles hit over 100 MPH EV, bu at it's -9 launch angle it only registered a .280 xBA.
  • Andrew Cashner only got 5 swinging strikes in his 75 pitches.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?game_pk=567456&game_date=2019-3-28&type=away_pitchers&chart_view=pitch&chart_type=description&inning=&count=&batter_hand=&pitcher_hand=&filter=

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:
  • The Yankees had 8 hits over 100 MPH exit velocity compared to 3 by the #Orioles. Cashner gave up 6 of those including Giancarlo Stanton's 120.6 MPH 1B, and Luke Voit's 112.6 MPH, 428 foot dead center home run. Dwight Smith Jr. had O's hardest hit with his 103.5 MPH single.
  • The Yankees averaged 96 MPH Exit velocity off Cashner today which is bad, but not as bad as Paul Fry's 99.3 EV allowed. Mike Wright struggled to throw strikes but only allowed a 84.9 EV. These Yankees can hit.
  • Rio Ruiz's 4th inning single (100.3) was the only other Orioles hit over 100 MPH EV, bu at it's -9 launch angle it only registered a .280 xBA.
  • Andrew Cashner only got 5 swinging strikes in his 75 pitches.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?game_pk=567456&game_date=2019-3-28&type=away_pitchers&chart_view=pitch&chart_type=description&inning=&count=&batter_hand=&pitcher_hand=&filter=

Hader had 8 on 11 pitches, and he only threw fastballs.

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re not going to be favored in a game for a long time. 

I kind of like being "spoilers"!  We  hide in the weeds - always on the hunt to take down the big boys!  I liked the way Hyde got everyone in the game - save for Severino, but he will play this weekend I am sure.  Mancini brought his line drive bat (but @Tony-OH says not the EV) - looking a bit like Judge or Stanton (in my dreams?) as DH.  Nice lineup.  Villar was a nuisance and Mullins wasn't overmatched but played a good CF.

4 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I kind of like being "spoilers"!  We  hide in the weeds - always on the hunt to take down the big boys!  I liked the way Hyde got everyone in the game - save for Severino, but he will play this weekend I am sure.  Mancini brought his line drive bat (but @Tony-OH says not the EV) - looking a bit like Judge or Stanton (in my dreams?) as DH.  Nice lineup.  Villar was a nuisance and Mullins wasn't overmatched but played a good CF.

The bottom 3 guys might hit below the Mendoza line.  

1 minute ago, atomic said:

The bottom 3 guys might hit below the Mendoza line.  

Yeah and in a weird way I'm ok with that if Davis is one of them.  I expect Martin and either C to struggle.  And if Davis continues to do so, whatever - just more proof. 

Archived