Dylan Bundy 2019

Frobby

o

In Bundy's last outing, he threw 89 pitches over 7 Innings Pitched.

In today's outing, he threw 96 pitches over 5 - PLUS Innings Pitched.

Bundy ceded 3 Free Passes (2 Walks and 1 Hit Batsmen) over 5 - PLUS Innings Pitched today.

Over his last 4 starts combined, Bundy has 7 Walks and 24 Strikeouts over 23.33 Innings Pitched.

15 OUTS: ) 4 Strikeouts, 4 Flyouts, 2 Groundouts, 2 Popouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Foulout

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDY ))))))) (vs. RANGERS, 6/04)

IP:ll5 - PLUS

H:llll 6 )(1 Home Run, 1 Double, 4 Singles)

R:lllll 3

BB:ll2 ) *

SO:ll4

Pitches: ll)96 )(59)Strikes, )37)Balls)

2019 ERA: ))4.64  ))  64.00 IP  (33 ER) 

2019 WHIP: ))1.266  ))  64.00 IP  (81 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )).238 ) (58 for 244)

* )) Bundy also had 1 Hit Batsmen.

PITCHES BY INNING

19 ll(11 lllStrikes, lllBalls)

19 ll(10 llStrikes, ll9 llBalls)

23 lll(16 llStrikes, llllBalls)

22 lll(13 llStrikes, llll;Balls)

12 lll(81 llStrikes, llllBalls)

11 lll(11 llStrikes, lllllBalls) **

** )) Bundy did not record any outs before departing in the 6th inning.

o

I thought Bundy was steady and resourceful on a night where he really didn’t have great command.    It helped that he got 9 runs of support while he was out there.   Not his best outing by any stretch, but he limited the damage and got a cheap win despite the bullpen’s best efforts to blow it for him.   

o

Over his last 5 starts combined, Bundy has 8 Walks and 30 Strikeouts over 29.33 Innings Pitched.

He has gone 18 consecutive innings without throwing double-digit balls (10 or more.) The last time that he did so was against the Yankees, on May 23rd.

18 OUTS: ) 6 Strikeouts, 4 Flyouts, 4 Lineouts, 2 Groundouts, 1 Popout, 1 Caught Stealing

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDY ))))))) (vs. ASTROS, 6/09)

IP:ll6

H:llll 4 )(1 Home Run, 3 Singles)

ER:ll2

BB:ll1

SO:l.6

Pitches: ll)91 )(55)Strikes, )36)Balls)

2019 ERA: ))4.50  ))  70.00 IP  (35 ER) 

2019 WHIP: ))1.229  ))  70.00 IP  (86 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: ).233 ) (62 for 266)

PITCHES BY INNING

12 ll(81 llStrikes, llllBalls)

81 ll(61 llStrikes, llllBalls)

20 lll(14 llStrikes, llllBalls)

19 lll(12 llStrikes, llll;Balls)

17 lll(81 lStrikes, lllllBalls)

15 lll(71 lStrikes, lllllBalls)

o

The Era isn’t great but his other numbers are very strong.  1.22 whip puts him top 20 in the AL.   I think lot of people are down on him because they think of him being a number no pitcher coming up.  His injury issues have limited his potential there but he is still a guy that is a 2 or 3 that is cheap and under control.  I think they try to move him either at the deadline or at the end of the season.  He has the largest return potential on the team imo.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Superior to what Gausman brought back, just don’t tell @weams ??‍♂️

Gausman has more upside because he still had the upper 90s fastball at the time something Bundy no longer has.  Bundy however knows pitching more and better off speed stuff and mixing things up.  If Bundy  had Gausman type fastball still like he did when drafted he would be a top pitcher in all of baseball.  

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I think Bundy has made adjustments, and has finally been forced to acknowledge the fact that he is no longer a power pitcher.

He's still learning how to be a finesse pitcher and there's no guarantee he'll wind up being a good one for a long time.

But I think he's on the right track to get the most out of what his arm has can do.   I think he's gotten good coaching and is trying to implement what they ask him to do.

It may take a year or two before we know how good Bundy 2.0 is going to be, but at least he has put Bundy 1.0 behind him.

Moving this discussion to the Bundy thread.   

I’m hopeful Bundy will continue pitching well, but because of his pattern the last two years, he needs to show me he can pitch well into the second half.   As of this date in 2017, he had a 3.05 ERA; then 5.38 the rest of the year. In 2018, 3.66 ERA through June 12;  7.16 the rest of the year.    I don’t think it was because he was stubbornly trying to be a power pitcher; his command just eroded as each season progressed.   So he will need to prove to me that this season is different.   

I fought hard on the board last year to remain positive about Bundy, but earlier this season I gave up. Hopefully he is going to prove me wrong, but I am not sold on this recent streak of good pitching. He’s had a streak like this almost every year, but then the homers start flying again.  

3 hours ago, terphoopsfan said:

That 89-91 mph FB won't cut it. He needs those others to play up his FB.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm wondering where all the velocity isn't important folks are to refute this statement.

It should be noted that Bundy’s velocity has ticked up a bit lately.   In his last start he was averaging 92 mph, topping out at 94.

• Upvote 1

o

Over his last 6 starts combined, Bundy has 10 Walks and 38 Strikeouts over 34.33 Innings Pitched.

15 OUTS:) 8 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts, 2 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDY ))))))) (vs. RED SOX, 6/15)

IP:.5 - PLUS

H:lll 8 )(1 Double, 7 Singles)

ER:l2

BB:ll2

SO:ll8

Pitches: ll)98 )(66)Strikes, )32)Balls)

2019 ERA: ))4.44  ))  75.00 IP  (37 ER) 

2019 WHIP: ))1.280  ))  75.00 IP  (96 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: ).242 ) (70 for 289)

PITCHES BY INNING

11 ll(81 llStrikes, ll31 llBalls)

30 ll(19 llStrikes, l11 llllBalls)

15 ll(10 llStrikes, ll51 lllBalls)

21 ll(11 llStrikes, l10 llllBalls)

71 lll(71 llStrikes, lll01 llBalls)

14 lll(11 lStrikes, lll31 llBalls) ) *

* )) Bundy did not record any outs before departing in the 6th inning.

o