Dylan Bundy 2019

Frobby

o

Dylan Bundy, PITCHES )))))) (vs. YANKEES, 3/31)

1st Inning: lllllllll 16 Pitches

2nd Inning: lllllllll 19 Pitches

3rd Inning: lllllllll 30 Pitches

4th Inning: lllllllll 28 Pitches ) *

Total: lllllllllllllllllllllll 93 Pitches

* )) Bundy recorded 2 outs before departing in the 4th inning.

o

I didn’t see his part of the game, but it was an interesting outing.   7 of his 11 outs recorded were via the strikeout, and he only allowed 2 hits.    That’s the good news.    Bad news — he walked five and threw 93 pitches in 3.2 innings.   His final line could have looked better but Means came in with bases loaded and two out in the 4th and allowed all three inherited runners to score.    

Bundy topped out at 93 mph and mostly used his fastball, throwing (per BrooksBaseball.net) 62 four-seamers and 5 two-seamers.   However, something is off with their pitch count, as they have him throwing 99 pitches as opposed to 93 in the box score.   He threw a lot of changeups and was selective with his slider, and barely touched the curve ball.   

Overall, a mixed bag for Bundy and we’ll see what happens in his next outing.   

The best thing I saw was the way he moved the ball around, constantly changing the hitter's eye level. Maybe Severino had something to do with that. He kept NYY hitters off balance and hit the glove an impressive number of times early on until he simply lost command. First fastball was 87, but touched 93 in the fourth. No one went yard. That's a big positive.

Not giving up a HR was great to see for Bundy. He sort of ran out of gas at 3.2 IP. 93 pitches. 7 K's , 5 BB. He was hitting 92 mph with the fastball consistently. He was all over the place and some wild high pitches. 

The strikeouts were nice, but at least a couple of those were the result of the Yankee hitters salivating all over their bats. Bundy looked basically the same to me as he did last year. He will get some strikeouts, but he's going to walk a lot of hitters, give up hard hit balls, and labor, labor, labor. Frobby noted that his line could have looked better but Means walked in a run, but it could have also looked much, much worse. I think he was very lucky not to give up a costly home run with multiple runners on base. The Yankees were overly aggressive when they had him on the ropes. 

BrooksBaseball has fixed its data now: 59 four-seamers, 4 two-seamers, 17 sliders, 11 changeups and 2 curveballs.    For anyone who thought the analytics were going to cause Bundy to throw fewer fastballs, apparently not, at least for this game.   That’s a much higher percentage of fastballs than he threw last year and fewer sliders.    Of course, you can’t get too caught up in the pitch usage from one game, as it often depends on which pitches the pitcher/catcher feel are working well on a given day.   

Fastball to me appeared to have more movement on it than I’ve seen before did a good job mixing in his off speed pitches  keeping hitters off balance. I still am not sold on Bundy being an effective big league starter and think he could be stellar as a late inning reliever and think that’s where his future is. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t see his part of the game, but it was an interesting outing.   7 of his 11 outs recorded were via the strikeout, and he only allowed 2 hits.    That’s the good news.    Bad news — he walked five and threw 93 pitches in 3.2 innings.   His final line could have looked better but Means came in with bases loaded and two out in the 4th and allowed all three inherited runners to score.    

Bundy topped out at 93 mph and mostly used his fastball, throwing (per BrooksBaseball.net) 62 four-seamers and 5 two-seamers.   However, something is off with their pitch count, as they have him throwing 99 pitches as opposed to 93 in the box score.   He threw a lot of changeups and was selective with his slider, and barely touched the curve ball.   

Overall, a mixed bag for Bundy and we’ll see what happens in his next outing.   

I'll be interested to see how Bundy looks with a more balanced zone.  Bucknor was not doing the Orioles any favors for most of the day.