Pitching needs some normalcy

eddie83

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Smith is our best hitter. I believe Means, Yacobonis, and Fry could all be sent down and then recalled later.

Rickard or Mullins? I’m talking short term. I think we have options if we need someone like Josh Rogers to come up and give us emergency innings.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Smith is our best hitter. I believe Means, Yacobonis, and Fry could all be sent down and then recalled later.

Why I think they give Yac one more day, he follows Karns tomorrow and then goes down.  

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Rickard or Mullins? I’m talking short term. I think we have options if we need someone like Josh Rogers to come up and give us emergency innings.

This is  interesting.   Jackson's playing time is being limited right now because  Martin and Ruiz are important to the defense and need to play.  Villar is a key part of the offense.   So Jackson sits.   If Mullins is sent down then Jackson plays more.  Interesting thought.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Castro, Yacabonis and Means are all multi inning guys right now.  They can all go up to 4 if needed.  If the starters settle in and begin going 5 or 6 innings than the will not need these  guys to go as long.

In other words normalcy - eddie83's point with the thread title.  There are a dozen different ways to slap on band-aids, but if good leadership is defined as putting your people in the best position to succeed, then the current situation needs some adjustment.  I sure hope Araujo turns out to be worth it.  

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

This is  interesting.   Jackson's playing time is being limited right now because  Martin and Ruiz are important to the defense and need to play.  Villar is a key part of the offense.   So Jackson sits.   If Mullins is sent down then Jackson plays more.  Interesting thought.

I'd like to start seeing Jackson at 3B against lefties perhaps. I really like Ruiz over there but I also want to get some looks at Jackson.

19 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I don't want to lose either for 10 days and increase the chances we will see Mancini in the OF. The pitchers are pretty interchangeable. No reason why we can't lose Yac or Means for a while and give Phillips or Rogers a shot.

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't want to lose either for 10 days and increase the chances we will see Mancini in the OF. The pitchers are pretty interchangeable. No reason why we can't lose Yac or Means for a while and give Phillips or Rogers a shot.

I think it depends on how bad the pitching situation gets. If Cashner gives 5 or 6 innings tonight, I'll feel better. If he goes 2, it could become a problem.

Someone mentioned this in another thread. What about trying to sneak Alberto through waivers and then bringing up another pitcher (Ramirez?)? And then just leave the pitcher on the 25-man. 

You have Jackson to cover SS, 3B, 2B. Nunez can play a little 3B. Davis can play RF or 3B in a pinch. Yes, it totally weakens your bench and perhaps your defense on some nights, but overall, I think the Os should be going for the bullpen approach to pitching. 

I realize this won't happen, but it is an idea. 

What's more likely is that we just pitch Araujo more. I would be surprised if we don't see him tonight. 

Also... Davis is a huge anchor on this team. Very little positional flexibility and does not produce offense. Ugh. 

29 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think it depends on how bad the pitching situation gets. If Cashner gives 5 or 6 innings tonight, I'll feel better. If he goes 2, it could become a problem.

If Cashner goes 2 tonight then it’s a catastrophe. I fully expect Cashner to be better than OD and go 6 strong, but we have to plan for otherwise. 

I’d DFA Arajuo for Yefry or Rogers. 

24 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

Someone mentioned this in another thread. What about trying to sneak Alberto through waivers and then bringing up another pitcher (Ramirez?)? And then just leave the pitcher on the 25-man. 

You have Jackson to cover SS, 3B, 2B. Nunez can play a little 3B. Davis can play RF or 3B in a pinch. Yes, it totally weakens your bench and perhaps your defense on some nights, but overall, I think the Os should be going for the bullpen approach to pitching. 

What's more likely is that we just pitch Araujo more. I would be surprised if we don't see him tonight. 

Also... Davis is a huge anchor on this team. Very little positional flexibility and does not produce offense. Ugh. 

Alberto has been put on waivers 4 times in the last 5 months.  He has been claimed every time.  I don't see the O's getting him through waivers.

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Not the point Rick. 

4th game of season and you have only 3 pen arms available. Not good. Givens already pushed. Guys pitching on odd rest.  

You are both right.  It's a bad position, but one we are in because the pitching has been an effective, if not orthodox manner.  There are two major issues on this team, one is Araujo, and when you win 3 of 4 you don't have many low pressure situations to get him innings.  And of course, Davis.  The Orioles pitching staff is not good enough or deep enough to continue this run, I don't think anyone really debates that idea.  But having two spots that could be used for pitching is pretty tough and it seems to me that bashing Hyde is more than a little unfair.

Not that he should be immune, but I also wonder if many of these decisions are gamed analytically already.  I don't know that but I wonder.  It's interesting, and I am enjoying what I see and have no expectation that the rebuild is complete. 

2 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I think you (and others) are thinking like the old regime.  We know Buck/Dan loved having those options and manipulating the 40-man and bringing guys up and down.  I don't think that's nearly as common among other teams, though certainly I could be wrong.  We don't know how the Hyde/Elias regime is going to work these sorts of situations, I just don't think yo-yoing guys back and forth does them any favors.  Let them get settled here for a bit.

You specifically mentioned Means - comes in and does a great job in NY, and he should be sent down for what, another AAAA guy?  Just don't think that sends a good message.

I do think that there are folks here who are examining things based on a lens that worked for the old regime.  There's a new sheriff in town boys!

14 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Release Davis.  

Patience Grasshopper!

1 hour ago, jtschrei said:

I almost want to see this for entertainment value alone.  When did Davis last play 3B for more than a game or 2?  2011?

Archived