How many current Orioles would not be on another ML roster?

Brion McClanahan

13 minutes ago, baltimoreO's22 said:

If Severino continues to play well and Rutschman is as advertised, it will bring up an interesting dilemma. 

Severino has done a good job, but since Sucre was the principal catcher the first few weeks of the season, Severino has only played 37 games, 33 starts.   So, that’s basically one hot month, and not enough for me to leap to any conclusions about how Severino will do over the next 1.6 seasons.   I certainly hope he does great, that can only help the team.   

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/8/2019 at 12:39 PM, Brion McClanahan said:

I would go with five maybe seven:

Fry (maybe)

Wright

Sucre (maybe)

Davis

Martin

Ruiz

Mullins

Davis, of course, is the biggest problem, because of the contract, but with an almost negative 3 WAR, anyone would be better (Diaz??) and it could be justified by saying they are making Davis's salary.

Davis is done. No one would put him on either an ML or MIL roster. There shouldn't be a worry about someone else "fixing" him. He is not a ML player any longer with the bat. Glove, yes. Bat, no.

Bundy, Alberto, Nunez, Severino, Mancini, Bleier, Castro, and Cashner would all have major league jobs. 

16 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

In Bundy's last 7 starts combined, his numbers are ........ 

(MAY 4th Through JUNE 9th)

GM: lllllllllllllllllll 7

IP: lllllllllllll  41.67

H: lllllllllllllllllllll 32

BB: llllllllllllllllll 11

SO: lllllllllllllllllll 36

ERA: llllllllllll 3.02 )) (41.67 IP 14 ER)

WHIP: lllllllllll 1.032 )) (41.67 IP 43 H/BB)

BA: lllllllllllllll .203 )) (32 for 158)

OBP: lllllllllllllllll .262 ) ) (45 H/BB 172 PA)

OPS: llllllllllllllllll .629 ) ) 

I think that it's fairly safe to say that Bundy would be in the Major Leagues in some capacity if he were not an Oriole (if not as a starting pitcher then as a long reliever, a middle reliever, an Opener, or a combination of any of these.)

He may or may not continue to have the success that he has had as of late, but I believe that he unquestionably would be with at least 1 of the other 29 MLB teams besides the Orioles right now.

o

16 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I can't imagine there is not more than 1 or 2 teams tops that would have him as their 5th starter at least.

o

I believe that 10-20 teams in the Major Leagues would take Bundy on their squad in some type of capacity.

But the debate that I was having with atomic (and the topic of the thread) was whether or not Bundy would be on ANY of the other 29 MLB rosters if he were not playing for the Orioles ........ and I believe that he would.

o

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Triple negative.   What are you actually saying?     Are there more than 1-2 teams that would not have him as their fifth starter, or not?

Dylan Bundy has a 100 ERA+.  He's averaging a strikeout an inning with decent walk numbers.  There are 70 or 80 pitchers who've made 5+ starts this year with worse results than Bundy.  

Basically every major league team would find a spot for him, 25 or so in the rotation, the rest in the pen.

On 4/24/2019 at 11:47 AM, OFFNY said:

o

Don't start with that "You against the world" rhetoric again. Nowhere did I assert that you were not allowed to have an opinion. I said that you were wrong in regard to Bundy not being able to find a place on another MLB roster besides the Orioles, and I told you why I thought that.

o

Of course he is wrong. Of course he has opinions. Many wrong. It takes Trea to say that all opinions have value or are equal. 

3 hours ago, weams said:

Bundy, Alberto, Nunez, Severino, Mancini, Bleier, Castro, and Cashner would all have major league jobs. 

Bleier maybe based on his brief 2017-18 resume. His 2019 ERA is 7.41 and for a team that plans on making the playoffs he would be very close to not being on the 25 man roster. Assuming that a team hadn't made a roster move already. I'm also not convinced he is 100% and on another team he might be on the injured list. 

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Bleier maybe based on his brief 2017-18 resume. His 2019 ERA is 7.41 and for a team that plans on making the playoffs he would be very close to not being on the 25 man roster. Assuming that a team hadn't made a roster move already. I'm also not convinced he is 100% and on another team he might be on the injured list. 

You may be right. I think he would be picked up if waived. Villar would have a job too. Maybe Smith. Possibly. A team would definitely try doing a Pedro Strop on Givens also. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

You may be right. I think he would be picked up if waived. Villar would have a job too. Maybe Smith. Possibly. A team would definitely try doing a Pedro Strop on Givens also. 

I think Givens will turn it around even that ends up being with another team. Bleier would no doubt be picked up, but he is going to have to prove he can come back from the injury. 

Castro is the player that intrigues me, he can throw it 99 MPH but is more a thrower than a pitcher.  He. might always be like this, or he is going to find an out pitch and become dominant.  

Archived