Attendance 2019

Frobby

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

This past weekend was bad but the other ones have been nice.  Been taking the daughter to the park for bicycle lessons and hiking in the woods.  And Opening weekend was sure great weather.  April had the best weather of any April I can remember. 

Don't know about Baltimore, but here in Harrisburg, It's rained 8 straight Sundays and 7 straight Fridays. 

Before I forget to mention this:   although the Orioles game was played yesterday, the O’s announced that the tickets for the game could be used for credit towards a “value” or “classic” game on another day, regardless of whether you used them yesterday or not.    Pretty classy move there.   

1 hour ago, atomic said:

This past weekend was bad but the other ones have been nice.  Been taking the daughter to the park for bicycle lessons and hiking in the woods.  And Opening weekend was sure great weather.  April had the best weather of any April I can remember. 

I’ll agree in part and disagree in part.    The first half of April was much warmer than it often is.  A lot of times, those early April night games can be frigid.    That really was not a problem this April.   

However, I’d also say that there have been  a larger than normal number of games on weekends played in rainy conditions or under the threat of rain.    The first game I attended, on Saturday April 20, ended up being a single admission doubleheader because the Friday game was rained out.    The second game I attended, on May 4, there had been a forecast of 60-70% chance of rain from 7-10 pm virtually all day.   At about 5 pm they suddenly downgraded it to 30% and we decided to go, and then it ended up not raining at all during the game.     They’ve had one other rainout, yesterday’s game that was delayed almost 3 hours, and at least a few others where the forecast was dicey.    

All that said, I don’t think weather has been a huge factor in attendance to date.   It’s a bad team, everyone knows they’re going to be bad, and that deters attendance.    In fact, there are days where rain is possible where maybe you’d take your chances if the O’s were in the race, but it just doesn’t seem worth it if they’re not.   

On 5/12/2019 at 8:51 AM, Frobby said:

The O’s drew a total of 123,130 n the last 10 home games, reaching 298,016 for 20 home games so far.    Basically a 1.2 mm fan pace, a 50% drop since they won the AL East in 2014.     And getting to 1.2 mm might be a challenge.   

On 5/12/2019 at 11:01 AM, bpilktree said:

They will draw more then 1.2 once the weather gets better and school is out.  I still expect about 1.4 million when all is said and done.  A weekend series against Boston will get you 100k and 4 game 100k this month.

On 5/12/2019 at 11:19 AM, Frobby said:

I think you’re living in the past.   I’ll try to respond in more detail tomorrow when I have access to some data from past years that I’ve been tracking.   

OK, so back to this.    This is the percentage of attendance from the whole year that occurred in the first 20 home games the previous three seasons:

2016: 20.1%

2017: 28.1%

2018: 23.8%

I’d suggest that 2016 isn’t a good model because that was a playoff year where the race went down to the wire, leading to strong attendance in the second half.   So, I’d say the other two years are better models.   If 28.1% was the right figure, that would suggest that attendance this year could be as low as 1.061 million.    If we use last year’s 23.8% figure, that suggests projected attendance of 1.252 mm.    So I think my statement that we are “basically at a 1.2 mm fan pace....And getting to 1.2 mm might be a challenge” is accurate.  

23 hours ago, atomic said:

I am not sure where you have been but the weather has been gorgeous.  If you are complaining about the weather this year you are just a complainer.  Compare the weather to any other April.  We have had so many sunny days in the 60’s and the 70’s.  

Also I don’t know anyone that gets up at 5 AM. School doesn’t start until 8 AM.

I wake up at 4:15am everyday. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TWpj said:

I wake up at 4:15am everyday. 

Plenty of people get up around 5 AM for work.  Doctors, nurses, and the like who are on a 7-7 schedule.  People in law enforcement and physical security are on a similar schedule.  Any kind of shift work really.  Those in construction often start super early as well. 

The statement is stilly and typical of Atomic.  Or maybe he doesn't know many people.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Before I forget to mention this:   although the Orioles game was played yesterday, the O’s announced that the tickets for the game could be used for credit towards a “value” or “classic” game on another day, regardless of whether you used them yesterday or not.    Pretty classy move there.   

I did a separate thread on this for people who might have missed it here.

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2019 at 5:52 PM, OFFNY said:

o

4-Game Set vs. ATHLETICS ))))))) (April 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th)

6,585 )l) (14% Full)

7,738 )l) (17% Full)

7,974 )l) (17% Full)

8,374 )l) (18% Full)

TOTAL lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll  30,671

4-GAME AVERAGElllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 7,668

o

o

(1 MONTH LATER)

Another West Coast team came to town, this time for a 3-game set.

Unlike the series against the Athletics last month, the attendance hit 5 figures for all of the games.

3-Game Set vs. ANGELS ))))))) (May 10th, 11th, and 12th)

14,495 )l) (21% Full)

21,106 )l) (46% Full)

16,387 )l) (36% Full)

TOTAL lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll  51,988

3-GAME AVERAGElllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 17,329

o

16 hours ago, osfan83 said:

Don't know about Baltimore, but here in Harrisburg, It's rained 8 straight Sundays and 7 straight Fridays. 

Same here. This is DC but weather has been the same.  After this article still  rained next two Fridays.

Rain has fallen on every Friday but one since March 1, and Fridays were responsible for nearly half of April’s rainfall (1.04 of 2.24 inches). The rainy Friday streak seems set to continue this week, as thunderstorms are in the forecast yet again for late in the afternoon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/05/02/foul-fridays-it-has-rained-all-one-since-beginning-march-washington/?utm_term=.d0b54e634983

18 hours ago, osfan83 said:

Yeah, lots of rainy Fridays for sure, so much so, the weatherman has been cracking jokes about it.

Right now, we are running a brunch of degrees under the average 72, and thats not to my liking, I like it in the 72 range.

Again, this is just how it rolls here in md.

5 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Yeah, lots of rainy Fridays for sure, so much so, the weatherman has been cracking jokes about it.

Right now, we are running a brunch of degrees under the average 72, and thats not to my liking, I like it in the 72 range.

Again, this is just how it rolls here in md.

I have been to games in April when it was 36 degrees at game time. Friday is not the only day of the week.  Last April it was raining most every day.  

I keep forgetting to mention one thing. In the club level you can buy a pepperoni pizza for only $41. 

I had to look at that price about 5 times the other day to see if my eyes were deceiving me. 

The Orioles let you take your own food and drink which is great and there are many cheap food options inside the stadium, that said some of the prices are a joke. I also didn’t see any regular burger and fries in the club level just a Roseda burger and fries for $17. 

I can’t imagine too many pizzas have been sold this year. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I keep forgetting to mention one thing. In the club level you can buy a pepperoni pizza for only $41. 

I had to look at that price about 5 times the other day to see if my eyes were deceiving me. 

The Orioles let you take your own food and drink which is great and there are many cheap food options inside the stadium, that said some of the prices are a joke. I also didn’t see any regular burger and fries in the club level just a Roseda burger and fries for $17. 

I can’t imagine too many pizzas have been sold this year. 

try ordering a pizza from the luxury suites, its like $129.00 for a large.

On 5/3/2019 at 10:18 PM, Going Underground said:

Well city has good things going and some really bad things Under Armour would be a good partner  I know they work somewhat with them Legg Mason pulled all signage from sports stadiums.That is why not above the scoreboard.Guinness would be a good partner The only brewery in the US is in Baltimore. The Orioles PA announcer works for them.Need Hopkins and other big healthcare employers.

Still not sure why they did away with holiday packs and just small packs.Even the Yankees have them Also teams are going to All Acess passes.But probably won't help that much.Tough to watch right now.

Well they are doing a cross promo with Guinness but not at the stadium and seems expensive. 

https://allevents.in/halethorpe/brews-and-os/1000061600560936