Keegan Akin 2019

ChuckS

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Akin tonight had an outing we’ve been seeing a lot of lately from him: 5 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 6 K’s.  At least he kept the walks down.  

Low-ish WHIP, good K/9.  Where are the ER coming from?  Is it a sequencing thing?

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Akin tonight had an outing we’ve been seeing a lot of lately from him: 5 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 6 K’s.  At least he kept the walks down.  

I watched most of his start, the 2 run HR he gave up was absolutely a juiced ball HR.  It looked like a pop up off the bat that just carried over the RF wall.  Mason Williams seemed shocked it went out and so did the announcers. 

1 hour ago, Big Mac said:

I watched most of his start, the 2 run HR he gave up was absolutely a juiced ball HR.  It looked like a pop up off the bat that just carried over the RF wall.  Mason Williams seemed shocked it went out and so did the announcers. 

Well, he’ll have that to look forward to in Baltimore too, lol... ?

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

The more I see of Akin this year the more I have him pegged for the pen. I'd like to see a velocity bump if he does get moved there eventually.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The more I see of Akin this year the more I have him pegged for the pen. I'd like to see a velocity bump if he does get moved there eventually.

I think we almost have to see what he can do as a starter in Baltimore.  Other than Means, we don't have bodies - with Cashner traded and Bundy injured.  .  

Hopefully starting the clock isn't an issue for someone who projects as a 5th starter/reliever.  

14 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I think we almost have to see what he can do as a starter in Baltimore.  Other than Means, we don't have bodies - with Cashner traded and Bundy injured.  .  

Hopefully starting the clock isn't an issue for someone who projects as a 5th starter/reliever.  

Yeah, I would have no issue with eventually giving him some starts this year if needed. He'll have some good ones, but he's probably going to be a 5 to 6 inning starter at best and will have days where it's going to get ugly the second time through the lineup.

On 7/16/2019 at 6:13 AM, Big Mac said:

Still only 6 HR total given up this year. 

He also has the 5th highest SO/9 at 10.7. It’s the BB that is hurting him. 4.6 BB/9. Up 0.8 from Bowie. 

I’ll chalk it up to the MLB juiced ball, poor OF defense, and better comp. 

The Bowie guys might have it different next year OF Defense wise. Instead of having Stewart/Mountcastle, Mullins, Williams/Santander. They will have Mullins/Hays, Mckenna, Diaz. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Akin hasn’t pitched well over the last 2+ months.    Very disappointing season for him.   

I agree the performance has fallen off, but his 4.66 ERA is equivalent to a 3.32 ERA in the Eastern League. 

His velocity has decline significantly from his first handful of starts, 87-92 down from 91-96. 

Archived